Airbrushing Question

Decorating By catin Updated 18 Jul 2009 , 6:04pm by catin

catin Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 4:21pm
post #1 of 6

I am attempting to make 2 topsy turvy cakes due in 2 weeks and was wondering if I can airbrush the buttercream ...and is this look going to come out looking like fondant ? Also I would like to know if I can mix white pearl dust in with the color in the airbrush ? Will it clog it ...?

Thank you very thing is highly appreciated ..and this site is the boom icon_smile.gif

Julie

5 replies
catin Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 4:32pm
post #2 of 6

BUMP!!!!

catin Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 4:35pm
post #3 of 6

BUMP!!!!

HipnotiqGlamour Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 4:44pm
post #4 of 6

Yes you can airbrush the cake iced in butter cream but it doesn't turn out like colored fondant would. I prefer fondant on Topsy turvy cakes because it looks much cleaner.

As far as mixing pearl dust with your color, a few people i have known has done that and had no problems I myself though had major problems and it not only looked blotchy but also clogged by airbrush gun as well. I now by the premade pearlized spray.

icer101 Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 4:59pm
post #5 of 6

people airbrush b/c cakes all the time.. mike terry demos this at the conventions.. be sure your buttercream is smooth.. that way it looks better. i ;personally , would get the airbrush pearl by americolor or lucks.. pme , i think is in a can. when i have used pearl dust in my airbrush.. i mix it with everclear.. or vodka.. and when i am finished, i clean, my airbrush extremely clean.. over and over. i now use the airbrush pearl ,etc. but , yes, people airbrush buttercream all the time..if it has imperfections. and so does fondant sometimes. i,ve done both.. it will show the imperfections. hth

catin Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 6:04pm
post #6 of 6

Thank you very much for your imput ... I greatly appreciate it . I guess I will stick with the original plan and cover the cakes with fondant instead ... I am really new with the airbrush and I don't want to screw it up ...hehe

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%