[B]Need Help [/b]With Monster Truck [B]Please[/b]

Decorating By martii01 Updated 18 Jul 2009 , 9:07pm by Doug

martii01 Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 1:27pm
post #1 of 10

Hi,

I posted a thread yesterdy hoping someone may be able to help me with a dilema. So i was asked to make a monster truck(3d) that will feed 70-80 pple, Now i have made a truck before but my question is how much cake, what size pans, and how big should this cake be? please help asap icon_redface.gif

thanks

9 replies
poptart Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 1:38pm
post #2 of 10

Maybe you could just make the cake like you know how, and just provide a sheet cake for the additional servings?

martii01 Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 1:47pm
post #3 of 10

hi poptart,

Well if this thread does not help i was going to suggest that as well icon_rolleyes.gif , although i really like a challenge icon_cool.gif lol, i will wait to see if anyone has any ideas, but thanks

Doug Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 1:53pm
post #4 of 10

a 11x15 single layer = 35 servings

make it two layers = 70 <--- the main truck body (going off a pick-up style)

cab 11x6 2 layers = 15 servings

total 85

-------

for rectangular shapes -- divide length and width by 2 and multiple the results together.

---

basic truck shape would be a big ol' 4" tall rectangular slab for the body, topped by a rectangular piece of the cab.

decide how big you want each to be and work from there.

JamieBrooke Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 1:57pm
post #5 of 10

I just had a quick question. On my cake boss program it list that a 11x15 2 layer serves 35, so I assumed that on one layer serves half of that. Does anyone else go by that or just me icon_redface.gif I am not sure if I have just been making way too much cake???

Doug Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 2:13pm
post #6 of 10

single 2" inch layer or 2 - 2inch layers for total of 4"?

big difference.

standard for a sheet cake is a single 2" layer - that serves 35

if you make it 2 - 2inch layers, 4" tall, now it becomes 70

----

it has to do with "standard" party (not wedding) serving size of 2x2x2 = 8 cubic inches of cake. -- 2" wide x 2" long x 2" high

when you have a 4" high layer, then the dimension of the cut piece are adjusted to
1"wide x 2" long x 4" high which yields the same 8 cubic inches of cake.

martii01 Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 5:36pm
post #7 of 10

THANK YOU SO MUCH DOUG,

VERY HELPFUL INFO, I DIDNT WANT TO CHANGE THE DESIGN OF CAKE. NOW I HAVE ANOTHER QUESTION YOU MAY HAVE THE ANSWER TO. i HAVE SEEN FROM OTHER TRUCKS THAT THEY PLACE A SUPPORT BOARD UNDER FLAT SIDE OF TRUCK, WILL THIS WORK FOR THE AMOUNT OF CAKE IM DOING? THANKS IN ADVANCE thumbs_up.gif

Doug Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 6:08pm
post #8 of 10

yes, if properly sized and constructed.

for a big cake to look like only wheels holding it up you will have to use a wood board of some type.

masonite (aka pressboard) or MDF (medium density fiberboard) or plywood.

it would have to be at least 1/4" thick.

then have two options

1 - screw in short sections of dowel (about 1" round max will do) where length of dowel = how high you want bottom of cake off the board.

2 - place a hidden central support that is painted out black -- this support is shaped like a common brick and in many cases is just that - a brick -- tho it can also be a piece of styrofoam. it should be at least as wide as 1/3 the width of the cake. Could even use two placed cross ways under the cake in the location of the axles.
LL

martii01 Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 9:01pm
post #9 of 10

that was so much more info then i would have even thought to ask! icon_redface.gif i have to say i have not met pple so nice and helpful before lol im from nyc icon_lol.gif but its good to no there are helping hands out there. and thanks for actually taking the time to help thumbs_up.gif ur GREAT

Doug Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 9:07pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by martii01

that was so much more info then i would have even thought to ask! icon_redface.gif i have to say i have not met pple so nice and helpful before lol im from nyc icon_lol.gif but its good to no there are helping hands out there. and thanks for actually taking the time to help thumbs_up.gif ur GREAT

you're welcome!

p.s. -- I lived 20 years in Glendale section of Queens! dying to have some Junior's cheesecake!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%