If Someone Threatened To Post Your Cake On Cake Wrecks...

Business By cakesbycathy Updated 23 Jul 2009 , 1:54pm by HeatherBelle

cakesbycathy Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 12:45pm
post #1 of 26

Hypothetically speaking, if a disgruntled client threatened to post a cake you made for them on the Cake Wrecks site along with your company name and information, is there anything you could do to prevent it?

I have been to the site, but I don't think I've seen it posted where the cakes came from (some are obviously grocery store cakes). Does the woman who runs the site ever post "this cake from X Bakery..."?

25 replies
Sweetriley Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 1:00pm
post #2 of 26

That's terrible! I go to that site every once in a while and I've never seen them post the names of where the cakes cake from. I'm guessing it's due to legal issues. I would tell her your going to pursue legal action if she does it. I'm no lawyer but I think this could be libel on her part.

sillyoldpoohbear Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 1:12pm
post #3 of 26

I think she does sometimes post them under a link but they may only be for the Sunday Sweets so don't quote me on it. I'm sure it couldn't done without your permission anyway.

MikeRowesHunny Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 1:20pm
post #4 of 26

Jen, who runs the site, is very sweet and she has it posted at the sides somewhere that it is never her intention to humiliate a baker and if your cake ends up on their and you want it removed she will do it immediately - you just need to contact her.

On another note - what a horrible & spiteful thing for a customer to say to you - (((hugs)))!

cakesbycathy Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 1:25pm
post #5 of 26

Okay I feel a little bit better now. Although having to check the site everyday is a headache I don't need right now.

And let me just say the cake is not "Cake Wrecks Worthy" by any means. The bride is just mad that I won't give her a refund.

artscallion Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 1:31pm
post #6 of 26

That's the good thing about Cake Wrecks...They post pictures. So if the cake's not bad, people will see that for themselves, no matter what bride says.

-Tubbs Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 4:01pm
post #7 of 26

How mean! Post the pic here so we can make you feel better about it!!

The worst the client could do is submit the pic to CakeWrecks. It's then up to the site owner which cakes to post - it doesn't automatically get uploaded, and the names of the bakeries are not included anyway.

margaretb Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 4:09pm
post #8 of 26

Technically, the bride can't post anything on cake wrecks except in the comments area (which is moderated). She can SUBMIT a photo to the site, but it is up to Jen what she posts.

Even on the posts of "this is what the bride wanted... this is what she got..." I haven't seen names of bakers.

Personally, I think Jen would get a bit of a kick out of the fact that brides are now threatening bakers with CakeWrecks, and I would probably send her a little email saying, hey, my bride is trying to get a refund by threatening me with CakeWrecks. I would even send that picture so she could post it as a wreck or post it as not a wreck (which could be funny -- e.g. absense of lumps, even borders, pleasant colour scheme).

FromScratch Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 4:47pm
post #9 of 26

I'd tell her to knock herself out. What a little snot! I'd beat her to the punch and let Jen know this might happen. I'm sure she'd be all over it... I can see the post now. icon_lol.gif

Mensch Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 4:52pm
post #10 of 26

Good grief. No one except the owners can POST anything on CW. She can threaten all she wants, she can send pics from every angle, but that doesn't necessarily men it's going to end up on CW.

Ease up...... she's just blowing off steam.

kelleym Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 8:50pm
post #11 of 26

What the others said - it's not up to the bride what gets posted on CW. And even if Jen decided to use it, it might be a year from now. I sent in a submission (from the cold case at my grocery store) months ago and still haven't seen it.

But yeah, we are gonna need to see a picture of that cake. icon_smile.gif

costumeczar Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 1:37am
post #12 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by margaretb

Technically, the bride can't post anything on cake wrecks except in the comments area (which is moderated). She can SUBMIT a photo to the site, but it is up to Jen what she posts.

Even on the posts of "this is what the bride wanted... this is what she got..." I haven't seen names of bakers.

Personally, I think Jen would get a bit of a kick out of the fact that brides are now threatening bakers with CakeWrecks, and I would probably send her a little email saying, hey, my bride is trying to get a refund by threatening me with CakeWrecks. I would even send that picture so she could post it as a wreck or post it as not a wreck (which could be funny -- e.g. absense of lumps, even borders, pleasant colour scheme).

I agree...If you write to her and let her know that you don't want your cake on her site, and tell her what the situation is, I'm sure she wouldn't put it on. She probably WOULD write something about how stupid people are to think they can use the site as a threat, though!

-AndSheBakes Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 2:02am
post #13 of 26

If the cake isn't cake wrecks worthy then you have nothing to worry about. Not only will it not get posted the lady will look pretty foolish. Threatening to post things to a blog she does not own, threatening to post a perfectly fine cake on a site that posts cake disasters...

cakesbycathy Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 2:20am
post #14 of 26

Thanks you guys! I really feel better now icon_smile.gif

The bride was a PITA from day one. The wedding was at the end of May and since then about once every 3 or 4 weeks she sends an email to the wedding planner complaining about something. She's been complaining about the cake and problems at the venue (although apparently the manager had enough of that and called the groom and told them that they lived up to their contract and to shut the hell up already icon_twisted.gif )

cakesbycathy Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 2:21am
post #15 of 26

Thanks you guys! I really feel better now icon_smile.gif

The bride was a PITA from day one. The wedding was at the end of May and since then about once every 3 or 4 weeks she sends an email to the wedding planner complaining about something. She's been complaining about the cake and problems at the venue (although apparently the manager had enough of that and called the groom and told them that they lived up to their contract and to shut the hell up already icon_twisted.gif )

Given that this was my first complaint in the 4 years since I've been in business and that I have several repeat customers, I'm trying to just forget about it (but boy was I livid at first!).

__Jamie__ Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 2:56am
post #16 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratch

I'd tell her to knock herself out. What a little snot! I'd beat her to the punch and let Jen know this might happen. I'm sure she'd be all over it... I can see the post now. icon_lol.gif

I agree! What an effin you know what! By the way, I submitted one alooooong time ago, still hasn't shown up. And I know it will someday, it's gawd awful!. She has to let submissions pile up, and dole them out daily so she doesn't run out of stuff to blog about. And of course there's the stuff that's only in the books.

Hopefully, she will never run out of stuff, so we will continue to have "don't let this happen to you" examples to clients. icon_twisted.gif

BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 3:29am
post #17 of 26

I check CW every day just to laugh. I am allways afraid one of mine will end up on there. I must say you have me cuious. Come on, show us the cake. PLEEEAAASSSEEE icon_wink.gif

cakesbycathy Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 3:34am
post #18 of 26

I just sent an email to Jen at CW. We'll see if she replies.

I think the photo might still be on my camera. I'll have to look for it.

Magda_MI Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 4:56am
post #19 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeBoos-8599_

I check CW every day just to laugh. I am allways afraid one of mine will end up on there.

A few months ago, I actually did get a message from a friend telling me that one of my cakes was posted on Cake Wrecks. She then carefully explained that this was a *good* thing, since it was posted in Sunday Sweets. (Of course, I'm not technially eligible to be posted as a wreck, since I'm a hobbyist rather than a pro).

I just about fell over in shock to see my Unicorn Tapestry cake on the same page as an awesome D&D dragon cake by my cake idol Mike McCarey! How cool is that!

http://cakewrecks.blogspot.com/2009/01/sunday-sweets-fastastical-beasts.html

-Tubbs Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 5:16am
post #20 of 26

[quote="Magda_MII just about fell over in shock to see my Unicorn Tapestry cake on the same page as an awesome D&D dragon cake by my cake idol Mike McCarey! How cool is that![/quote]

Ah, now THAT cake is fantabulous! I was thinking about it just the other day, because the tapestry is used in the new Harry Potter film (it covers the entrance to the Room of Requirement, for any other HP geeks out there!!). When I saw the tapestry, I immediately thought of your cake!!

Congrats on being featured - I'm sure it was a thrill! thumbs_up.gif

Magda_MI Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 5:41am
post #21 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by TubbsCookies

Congrats on being featured - I'm sure it was a thrill! thumbs_up.gif

Definitely! I was also amused/flattered a couple weeks later when someone made a photo cake with a picture of my cake on it, for her sister who wanted a cake that looked "just like" mine. In fact, if they'd emailed me I could have sent them a larger copy of the pic.

http://cakewrecks.blogspot.com/2009/02/show-and-tell.html

Carolynlovescake Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 3:01pm
post #22 of 26

I hope you are documenting her threats and conversations at this point because "if you don't... or I will...." is considered blackmail.

If she ever takes you to court and you have these threats documented with a time and date she said it written down it will help you in court.

If she's a PITA I wouldn't put it past her to sue you at this point.

loriana Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 3:09pm
post #23 of 26

Hey, just as someone else said: Jen will NOT post anything to degrade a baker or embarass him/her. If asked, she will take posts down or not post at all if someone tells her it is coming. She is a good person and the site is meant to be for laughs, not to cause anyone grief.

Love, in-no-way-related-to-Jen-at-Cakewrecks-but-love-the-site!

planetsomsom Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 11:01pm
post #24 of 26

I would not pity anyone who had their cake up on cake wrecks. After all, she only posts cakes that are done by PROFESSIONALS, cakes that were paid dearly for.

If she was posting pictures of cakes that were done while a person was still learning, then that would just be mean.

But you have to expect more out of an expensive cake, don't you think? If someone took $500 from someone's pocket and dumped an unexpectedly ugly piece of crap on them then I shed no tears for that exposure.

And libel? Posting a photo of someone's halfassed cake and pointing out its flaws isn't libel, it's the truth.

If she's threatening you because maybe the cake fell over or something, or she's just being a ho in general, it probably wouldn't end up on the site anyway due to it not actually being a "wreck".

percussiongrrl Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 12:27am
post #25 of 26

Jen actually blacks out the names of any bakery identification on the "wrecks." She DOES give credit for the "Sunday Sweets" cakes if she can find out who made them. We should get one of your cakes nominated and posted for the Sunday Sweets, just to spite the PITA bride! Would be even better if Jen would post the EXACT cake she is complaining about as a "sweet." Wouldn't that give a whole new meaning to "Sweet" revenge?

HeatherBelle Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 1:54pm
post #26 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by percussiongrrl

Jen actually blacks out the names of any bakery identification on the "wrecks." She DOES give credit for the "Sunday Sweets" cakes if she can find out who made them. We should get one of your cakes nominated and posted for the Sunday Sweets, just to spite the PITA bride! Would be even better if Jen would post the EXACT cake she is complaining about as a "sweet." Wouldn't that give a whole new meaning to "Sweet" revenge?

Now THIS is an excellent idea! icon_smile.gif

And, I, too, would love to see a picture of your cake!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%