Edible Image

Decorating By kim_catt Updated 24 Jul 2009 , 11:16am by Limpy

kim_catt Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 10:22am
post #1 of 10

i made a edible image cake for my mom (aka Grandma/Nana) for her birthday. I was wondering if anybody could tell me what i can do to avoid the picture bubbling in spots? The cake still looked good, but i could notice the bubbles.

9 replies
renee2007 Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 8:56pm
post #2 of 10

that has happened to me before, too. I think it has to do with not getting the image smoothed out enough and therefore you get tiny air bubbles that are trapped underneath the image. next time just try to smooth it out better. maybe someone will have a different answer. hth icon_smile.gif

Limpy Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 7:07pm
post #3 of 10

Anyone have an answer to this question?

MissShon Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 11:43pm
post #4 of 10

I USED A SMOTHER AND DIDN'T HAVE A PROBLEM WITH BUBBLES, BUT I DID WANT TO KNOW HOW TO MAKE MY IMAGE SOFTER, I USED THE EDIBLE WAFER PAPER ANY SUGGESTIONS???

SHON

Limpy Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 12:20pm
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limpy

Anyone have an answer to this question?

PhotoFrost Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 1:35pm
post #6 of 10

Renee did have the correct answer, in almost all cases of having a bubble effect under the image, it is best to try and smooth it out as much as possible not allowing any air to remain underneath the icing sheet.
MissShon wafer paper will unfortunately not "merge" with your frosting as well as icing sheets do. They are not formulated as well for combining with icing. Hope this helps.

Limpy Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 5:25pm
post #7 of 10

I thought that I had smoothed it out enough, as mentioned,I had used the fondant smoother & smoothed all ways. It looked flat & smooth, so it was a surprise to see the bubbles the next day. Just a thought. Should I put a thin layer of fondant,piping gel or a piece of rice paper underneath the image? I am desperate to ensure that the next cake that I do does not have the same results.Any thoughts/experiences would be greatly appreciated.

tiggy2 Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 6:43pm
post #8 of 10

If applied to BC was it already crusted when you applied the EI? If it is crusted it wont meld into the BC.

PhotoFrost Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 3:31am
post #9 of 10

I would not reccomend putting rice paper underneath it for sure, this will defenitely take away from the "merging" properties of your icing sheet. I would go along with the smoothing out of the picture and try and hold off until the last minute until you put your image on. Like tiggy said too, make sure your icing is not crusted, if that was the case. The only other thing I could possibly think of is the possibility that your BC was very light and fluffy, this could possibly cause air bubbles to appear after the fact once they work their way up to the top after you have applied your image.

Limpy Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 11:16am
post #10 of 10

So,getting desperate to get an answer to this question, I contacted a company online that makes edible images. Was told that this was due to too much moisture & air in the buttercream (have to admit,I did beat the heck out of the buttercream to make it smooth & maybe it could have been a little stiffer). Will try it again, with a less beaten & less moist buttercream. Wish me luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%