Large Cake Covered In Fondant

Decorating By ashleerebecca Updated 18 Jul 2009 , 4:43pm by JanH

ashleerebecca Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 8:26am
post #1 of 10

Hi,
I am making a twelve inch square cake that will be covered in fondant. It is much bigger than others I have made, and is making me crazy. Does anyone have any tips?
My major struggles so far have been: the fondant sticks as I roll it out, even though I have thoroughly covered my surface in cornstarch/powdered sugar and when I do actually have it rolled out and not sticking, when I try to lift it, it tears or creases (I am trying to roll it onto a rolling pin to lift it to cake?)

Thanks for any help!
Ashlee

9 replies
bashini Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 8:45am
post #2 of 10

Hi Ashlee, when I want to cover a bigger cake, I always make sure I have good amount of fondant. Few grams more than what you need. And don't roll the fondant two thinly. 1/4 or 1/8 thickness should be fine.And I use only cornstarch. The fondant that I use doesn't need lot of corntarch. But if your fondant is have a sticky texture, use a good amount of cornstarch. I also use the rolling pin to take the fondant.

Texas_Rose Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 8:53am
post #3 of 10

I agree, roll the fondant a little thicker than usual.

I use a piece of vinyl to roll my fondant on and I barely need any cornstarch. I know you probably don't have one handy this time icon_biggrin.gif but for next time you might get one. They're cheap and they last a good while as long as you don't fold them up.

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 8:59am
post #4 of 10

Try adding a bit of Gem Tex to it. I had the same problem with some very soft fondant, and this did the trick. Add the Gum Tex, wrap it and let it sit for about an hour.

HTH

sarand Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 9:25am
post #5 of 10

Hi I agree with the same as above, I have just done a large cake and totally messed it up.. the cake cracked a little and I put the fondant on and thought it would cover it, but i rolled the fondant too thin and you can see the cracks through it... I was gutted as this is for my grans 90th birthday tomorrow... if the fondant was thicker it might have been better.

I cant post a pic of the cake as the image is too large but if you want to have a look its the last one posted in my photos

Sarah xx

sarand Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 9:41am
post #6 of 10

Hi I agree with the same as above, I have just done a large cake and totally messed it up.. the cake cracked a little and I put the fondant on and thought it would cover it, but i rolled the fondant too thin and you can see the cracks through it... I was gutted as this is for my grans 90th birthday tomorrow... if the fondant was thicker it might have been better.

I cant post a pic of the cake as the image is too large but if you want to have a look its the last one posted in my photos

Sarah xx

bashini Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 10:13am
post #7 of 10

Sarah, your cake looks beautiful! What you could have done is to put another layer of fondant. Once that happened to me and I put another layer of fondat. And it looked perfect! icon_smile.gif

sarand Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 10:38am
post #8 of 10

Aww I wish I had of done that now... Too late now though lol. Luckily at 90 my grans eye sight is not the best so it will be perfect for her lol... I was gutted though...

Thank you

bashini Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 4:04pm
post #9 of 10

That's ok! I know what you mean. Even though we are not happy with the end result, to the others its beautiful product! icon_biggrin.gif

JanH Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 4:43pm
post #10 of 10

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%