Help With First Impressions Jewel/gem Mold Set 2

Decorating By disp4so Updated 20 Jul 2009 , 4:52am by __Jamie__

disp4so Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
disp4so Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 8:00am
post #1 of 13

I was wondering what you use to pour the sugar into such small cavities. I tried using this mold earlier today and just made a mess. I had a really small spoon but even that was not good enough.

any tricks regarding this mold would be appreciated.

thank you
sherri icon_smile.gif

12 replies
miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 8:46am
post #2 of 13

Maybe if you use a metal turkey baster you can get it in tiny molds, just my .2 cents

disp4so Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 7:12pm
post #3 of 13

thanks for responding mini icon_smile.gif , I think the opening on the baster would be too big though..

has anyone else used this mold???

disp4so Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 7:13pm
post #4 of 13

thanks for responding mini icon_smile.gif , I think the opening on the baster would be too big though..

has anyone else used this mold???

miny Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 7:25pm
post #5 of 13

What size are those molds?!! Can you post a pic?

goddessa12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goddessa12 Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 7:31pm
post #6 of 13

What about an eye dropper or a pipette?

miny Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 4:40am
post #7 of 13

Just remember it has to be heat resistant, plastic will melt with the boiling sugar.

disp4so Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 8:28am
post #8 of 13

The mold is silicone has 65 cavities and is less then the size of a postcard. I will post a picture tomorrow..

I tried pouring the sugar over the mold and then using a palate knife to wipe across the top, it kinda worked

when I wipe across sometimes it pulls the sugar out of the cavity instead of just the extra on top

hopefully someone knows an easier way...

thanks to everyone who has responded so far

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 3:30pm
post #9 of 13

Kathy Scott of Sweet Expressions is an amazing artist and sells sugar gem supplies through her eBay store. Check out

http://cgi.ebay.com/BLING-Starter-Kit-fro-Edible-Gems-Cake-Decorating_W0QQitemZ300262459679QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item45e909891f&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1262&_trkparms=|293%3A1|294%3A30

If that link doesn't work, check Sweet Expressions in eBay merchants and look for the Bling Starter Kit. Look at the little tool in the center of the three silicone items - she calls it a sili-spoon. It is silicone, so the sugar comes off. Sugar will, of course, cling to the silicone when temps drop to a certain point, but you can pull it off and remelt. She uses the pointed end to dip into sugar or isomalt and drip into small cavities. Contact her to see if she will sell you a sili-spoon. Or, make your own. A glass rod would probably work if you could find a pointed one, but glass breaks and silicone doesn't. It works better if you can drip small amounts into the cavities, but those small cavities are not easy.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 3:42pm
post #10 of 13

Country Kitchens recommends using a funnel with a stopper. Not sure how small these funnels/stoppers come in ....

http://www.countrykitchensa.com/ckideas/ckIdea.aspx?Occ1Id=&ideaId=174&idea=456&occasion=General Candy Instructions

Is this about the size of the molds: http://countrykitchensa.com/catalog/product.aspx?T=1&productId=636107

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 12:29am
post #11 of 13

I have a First Impression gem mold - it's a blue silicone one? I've successfully used crushed jolly ranchers. You put the crushed candy in the cavities and put it in a low oven until they're melted. I forget how long, maybe 20 minutes or so at about 250*. It came with instructions, but I have no idea where they are! icon_smile.gif

miny Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 4:20am
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachcakes

I have a First Impression gem mold - it's a blue silicone one? I've successfully used crushed jolly ranchers. You put the crushed candy in the cavities and put it in a low oven until they're melted. I forget how long, maybe 20 minutes or so at about 250*. It came with instructions, but I have no idea where they are! icon_smile.gif

Now that's an idea!!! thumbs_up.gif

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 4:52am
post #13 of 13

Crushed candy....like suggested above.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%