Can I Freeze A Ganache Covered & Torted Cake?

Decorating By nelikate Updated 22 Jul 2009 , 12:20am by nelikate

nelikate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nelikate Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 6:01am
post #1 of 7

Hi,

I am making my dad's 60th birthday cake for his party night of 8 august and will be away for a week until midday that same day.

I want to make a topsy turvy cake. I was wondering if I could bake, torte and cover with ganache and freeze. Then get my sister to take it out of the freezer the night before.

Could I carve to the topsy turvy shape all ready to stack and decorate?
does anyone have any tips otherwise I will go with buttercream which is not as tasty and hope for the best.

thanks
Nel

6 replies
nelikate Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 1:35am
post #2 of 7

does anybody out there work with Ganache? can you please help me- can you freeze a ganache covered cake?

Nel

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 2:16am
post #3 of 7

I don't know, and I'd like the answer, too.

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 2:49pm
post #4 of 7

Anyone?

umgrzfn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
umgrzfn Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 2:54pm
post #5 of 7

Excellent question. I would like to know also.

Toptier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Toptier Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 10:58pm
post #6 of 7

Yes, you can completely tort, fill, ganache and freeze a cake. Thaw completely wrapped in the fridge overnight and take out to come to room temp before covering with fondant (if fillings are non-perishable).

nelikate Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 12:20am
post #7 of 7

Thanks Toptier!

I have another question, I made the cakes last night (tuesday) all ready to cover etc today but something has come up and I cannot get back to the cakes until friday night.

I have put them in the freezer - Can I defrost friday morning, carve, torte, fill, ganache and refreeze on Friday night. Then get my sister to defrost in the fridge the night before I need to complete the decorating in 2 weeks time.

I know people freeze cakes when making and friends who freeze left over decorated cakes so I am wondering if you can freeze-defrost-freeze a cake.

Nel

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%