Confused About Fondant And Refridgerating Tv Shows Do It??

Decorating By bourbs Updated 19 Jul 2009 , 3:10am by Rylan

bourbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bourbs Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 5:59am
post #1 of 11

Hi,

I'm very confused, everything I read tells me never to refridgerate fondant, but on Amazing Cakes they did a few fondant cakes and put them all in the freezer??

What, where, who? confused?

Tks, Marie

10 replies
auntiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntiecake Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 8:00am
post #2 of 11

It causes condensation and the fondant gets sticky! Do you have a filling in the cake that requires refrigerating?

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 8:29am
post #3 of 11

It depends on the kind of fondant you are using, Satin ice is a good example of a fondant that can be refridgerated without problem (as long as you let it come to room temperature without touching it) in the other hand Wilton fondant can't be refrigerated because it gets really soggy. HTH

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 10:00am
post #4 of 11

I refrigerate all of my cakes. As long as the temperature of the room is not excessively hot the cake with not even sweat when you take it out of the fridge (I keep the AC cranking in the warm months). In the rare instance it does start to sweat, just leave it be for a but until it dries.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 11:37am
post #5 of 11

ditto to the pp

KitchenKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenKat Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 1:22pm
post #6 of 11

I second and third that chef ziab. I refrigerate fondant cakes and when i bring them out to room temp (room temp being a really cool air conditioned room), i don't have major problems with sweating. If it does sweat i simply direct a fan onto the cake and wait for the sweat to evaporate.

bourbs Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 7:47pm
post #7 of 11

Thank you so much for your replies! I was just confused after watching Amazing Cakes and just wanted a little clarification on it.

Blessings, Marie

bourbs Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 7:48pm
post #8 of 11

Thank you so much for your replies! I was just confused after watching Amazing Cakes and just wanted a little clarification on it.

Blessings, Marie

susanscakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanscakecreations Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 8:02pm
post #9 of 11

Does this work with homemade marshmallow fondant?

Thanks!

underthesun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
underthesun Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 8:31pm
post #10 of 11

I note you are in New Orleans. Humidity much like here in Florida. My fondant, including Satin Ice sweats like crazy in the summer months, if placed in fridge. That doesn't mean I wouldn't put it in the fridge if necessary. It does dry as others said. However, I prefer not to take the chance. I have a new ac unit which has a dehumidifier built in. I run my ac low, but will still get sweating. I prefer not to put my fondant covered cakes in the fridge and stick to fillings which don't need it.

I would suggest make a small cake with fondant and see what happens. Experiment with the tips others have given you. I have heard the dryness of your fridge makes the difference. I read the large commercial refrigerators, you see on tv, are very dry inside, thus the reason they won't experience the sweating... like I do.

I made a fondant cake at a friends house. Very high humidity that night. Just taking the buttercreaam covered cake out of the fridge caused condensation. We let it sit. Covered with fondant and within an hour, after we had completely decorated it, the fondant started sliding down the sides. We couldn't stop the slippage. Very sad! Only time this has happened and I hope it never does again. Taught me to make my cakes in my own home, where I already know the humidity level, which by the way I check on a regular basis, while I'm putting a cake together. Good luck!

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 3:10am
post #11 of 11

I've refrigerated all the cakes I've ever made with no problems. Some people get problems, some people don't.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%