Fondant And Confectioners Glaze Question

Decorating By manomi Updated 18 Jul 2009 , 8:06am by manomi

manomi Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 1:16am
post #1 of 5

Hi everyone,

I have two questions , if any one would be kind enough to answer them.

First question I have is regarding the fondant. Every where I see people talking about MMF. Is there a reason why everyone likes to use this fondant and not the regular one. IAlso , want to make regular fondant (non MMM) at home,does anyone have a good recipe for that?

Second questions. I am planning to make a Cinderella doll cake for my daughter's 2nd birthday party. I want to give the dress a little glaze. Any ideas how to do that?I saw a video somewhere and they used confectioners glaze which game it a nice shine. Can anyone tell me what it is, can we make it at home and also how to apply it. I am making a glass slipper as well, and am thinking of making it a light gray and them putting a silver shimmer on it. Do u think it would work?

Another question icon_smile.gif Where do we get corn syrup? And also can we make this one at home as well.

Thanks icon_smile.gif
You guys can clearly see I am new to all this

4 replies
sayhellojana Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 1:24am
post #2 of 5

I think most people use MMF because it's so easy and cheap to make. If you don't like the idea of MMF, try MFF - Michele Foster's fondant. It's very good. I use both.
When I want to make fondant shiny I mix a little bit of corn syrup with a tiny bit of water to thin it a bit and brush it on as thinly as possible. It will dry a bit but leave a nice shine. You find corn syrup in the grocery store. It's usually pretty easy to find. Just ask your grocer what aisle. I don't know if you can make it at home or not. It's basically just a sugar syrup.

minicuppie Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 1:29am
post #3 of 5

That is a long list of questions! By confectioners glaze I assume you mean pourable fondant. There are lots of recipes in the RECIPE section. I like to use one with some candy disks in it. Just covers better. Corn syrup is usually called Karo and you want to use the clear (not dark) one. I have heard of people making it....but cannot help you there. HTH.

Texas_Rose Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 2:06am
post #4 of 5

Most of us use marshmallow fondant because it's super easy, you can buy the ingredients almost anywhere, and it works every single time we make it icon_biggrin.gif Not only that, but the ingredients that go into non-MM fondant are pretty much what you're adding to a regular fondant...corn syrup, gelatin, etc...

I don't think you can make corn syrup. I found a recipe for a substitute for it http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1823,147170-227206,00.html but not sure how it would work for making fondant. Probably if corn syrup is not available where you live, then pretty much the same thing is sold as glucose or golden syrup...but you should look in the grocery aisle where pancake mixes and pancake syrup are kept and there will probably be corn syrup there. It's cheap...I wouldn't even bother trying to make a substitute for it if it's possible to buy it where you live.

About confectioner's glaze, the stuff you're talking about is most likely not something that you can make at home. The confectioner's glaze that you can buy is the edible secretion of the lac beetle. It smells horrible when you're using it, but the smell goes away as it dries. You can buy it at the cake decorating supply shop, if you really want to use it. It just goes on with a paintbrush, but you need to buy a bottle of thinner for it to clean the paintbrush.

You can make your fondant glossy by painting it with some vodka, or some vodka mixed with gel color. The vodka evaporates, so there's no alcohol or taste on the fondant, but it polishes the surface and leaves it nice and shiny. You can also rub a little crisco over the fondant for a shine.

For the glass slipper, gray fondant with silver dust would work. Americolor's silver airbrush color makes a great silver even on white fondant. I don't have an airbrush so I just paint it on with a paintbrush.

manomi Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 8:06am
post #5 of 5

Thanks a lottt guys icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%