Ugh! Forgot To Dowel!

Decorating By maddiseeyore Updated 18 Jul 2009 , 4:52pm by maddiseeyore

maddiseeyore Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 10:55pm
post #1 of 8

Now what do I do?! I just finished covering the cake with fondant (4" high 8" round) and realized I forgot to put the dowels in! I have a large (3/4 Wilton ball pan size) RKT "rock" that is full of rock candy and thus quite heavy, that has to sit on top. Now what?! I simply CANNOT pull the fondant off and redo it as I don't think I'd have enough fondant left and I just got it marbled perfectly. THankfully the cake is for a friend and a small, casual birthday, so maybe I can just give her the cake and the rock seperatly and tell her to set the rock on top just before serving. I think it will hold up for that brief time.... At least I'm doing the cake as a favor and not charging for it, but I still feel sick about it. If I could referidgerat the cake I know it would hold up better, but I've heard such mixed reviews about refridgerating fondant...
Has anyone else ever forgotten their dowels or am I the only one that forgetful?!

7 replies
sweetcravings Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 11:03pm
post #2 of 8

Why can't you add the dowels now? If the ball pan will be sitting on top of the 8"cake it should cover any dowels you plan to put in for support.

Texas_Rose Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 11:03pm
post #3 of 8

I always put the dowels in after the fondant is on...were you going to put the dowel in and then cover with fondant?

Anyhow, just stick the dowels in through the fondant. The RKT rock is going to cover the dowels.

mcaulir Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 11:07pm
post #4 of 8

I might be misunderstanding your problem. I put straws as dowels straight through the fondant. They need to be as high as the fondant anyway so the next tier can sit on them.

Hope this helps! icon_smile.gif

matthewkyrankelly Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 11:10pm
post #5 of 8

You can do this if you have cardboard rounds. You will need some help. Calculate the dowels you will need. Then sharpen one dowel to use as your hole maker. Since it is one level, just mark the bottom where you want the holes. Use the sharpened one to make a hole right through the cardboard from the bottom. Do this for all of the dowels you need. then insert each dowel until it is where you need it and snip off underneath. Add a second round or foamcore to the bottom and you are good to go.

Viola - doweled from the bottom and ready for rock candy.

Deb_ Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 3:03am
post #6 of 8

I too always put the dowels in after the fondant in on the cake. Just insert the dowels now and place the RKT rock on top of them and you're good.

PinkZiab Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 4:03am
post #7 of 8

The dowels should always go in AFTER the fondant has been put on the cake, and cut flush with the top of the fondant.

maddiseeyore Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 4:52pm
post #8 of 8

Wow, thanks for the replies! I have always doweled before putting on fondant and never had any problems; but now I think i must have just been lucky! Now I know...dowel after fondant! Thank you!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%