? On Non- Toxin Chalk To Color Flowers

Decorating By miasuzzette Updated 18 Jul 2009 , 3:42pm by BeeBoos-8599_

miasuzzette Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 10:28pm
post #1 of 8

I'm So CURIOUS. My friend is taking Classes on how to Make flowers & Color them. She was told by her Teacher,That she uses Non-Toxin Chalk to color her flowers. Can you really do this. Please, Help.... Has me cuious icon_rolleyes.gif Thanks for looking & answering my question. You all have a Lovely day... thumbs_up.gif

Margie from CT thumbs_up.gif

7 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 10:47pm
post #2 of 8

Yes...before there were so many kinds of petal dust people used to grate non-toxic chalk and use it as petal dust...not on the flowers that will be eaten. In the Wilton gumpaste flowers book it says to use chalk to color the flowers.

I do it sometimes...I bought 48 colors of chalk at Hobby Lobby for $5 and I grate them on the back of a strainer and then store the chalk in little cups I got at the craft store...they look like the paint-by-number paint containers but they come empty. I only do it to gumpaste flowers, not fondant ones, and I steam them so that the dust is not going to fall off.

nannie Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 11:13pm
post #3 of 8

that's what they taught me at the wilton shcool.

It tends to give a more matte finish. It's a nice effect to then add a little petal dust too.

just experiment and have fun

miasuzzette Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 11:34pm
post #4 of 8

But, It's not edible & You would like your customer know that they are not edible.. Yes, Thanks for your answers.... thumbs_up.gif

Texas_Rose Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 11:39pm
post #5 of 8

To me once a wire goes into a flower, then that flower is not edible anymore. I only use it on wired flowers so no problems here icon_biggrin.gif

nannie Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 11:40pm
post #6 of 8

Most of my gp flowers are wired so I make sure they know not to eat them

(altho one of my goofball friends did it anyway icon_confused.gif )

saberger Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 11:51pm
post #7 of 8

I know that Scott Woolley uses the pastels for his flowers at times.

BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 3:42pm
post #8 of 8

I got my non toxic chalks in the painting isle at Hobby Lobby. There are probably 50 sticks and it was way cheaper than all of those colors in petal dust. I only use them on gum paste flowers and most people save them rather than eat them. I dont think I have ever had anyone eat a gum paste flower yet but if a child was to bite into one they are as safe as if they ate a crayon.

Quote by @%username% on %date%