Help Sticking Fondant To Cake Dummies

Decorating By kathy164 Updated 18 Jul 2009 , 12:24pm by bettinashoe

kathy164 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathy164 Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 8:49pm
post #1 of 8

Hello there, I am searching the site, I know I saw something about this somewhere here but when I need it,cant find it. I am trying to put fondant on cake dummies, and cant get it to stay. I made it thin and it kind of melted off, made it thicker and it did the same thing., It wont stay on the top edge of the dummy. it is a circle dummy and the edge is pretty sharp. I know cakes are softer then them but the fondant must stick some how. Can anyone explain this to me?? Thank you.

7 replies
SugarBakers05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakers05 Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 8:59pm
post #2 of 8

Cover the dummy with a little bit of water, i just wipe it with a damp cloth...this will allow the fondant to stick.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 8:59pm
post #3 of 8

lightly sand the edge of the dummy so it's not so sharp. To stick the fondant you can spritz the dummy with water, or a light smearing of shortening, corn syrup or piping gel will also work.

SugarBakers05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakers05 Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 9:01pm
post #4 of 8

Cover the dummy with a little bit of water, i just wipe it with a damp cloth...this will allow the fondant to stick.

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 9:02pm
post #5 of 8

Sand the edges of the fondant to soften the surface or they may tear the fondant. Spritz lightly with water, apply fondant the same thinkness (1/8 to 1/4 inch) as you would on a cake. Smooth and trim bottom edge.

kathy164 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathy164 Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 10:41pm
post #6 of 8

oh thank you!! these helps are exactly what I needed. I sanded and spritzed and it is just perfect. thank you so much!

cayleigh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cayleigh Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 12:14pm
post #7 of 8

I have ordered some cake dummies to practice tiered wedding cakes. On applying the fondant to the cake can you take the fondant back off and reuse your dummie?

Do I really need to buy the perma ice? That stuff is not cheap. Or do you wonderful pro's have a different technique I could try practicing my icing work with on the dummies?

Thanks so much!! icon_biggrin.gif

bettinashoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bettinashoe Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 12:24pm
post #8 of 8

I just use regular fondant on my cake dummies and then decorate a I normally would. The fondant can be peeled off and the dummy reused.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%