Soooo Confused.. What To Do Next???

Business By Mylittleflutterby Updated 22 Jul 2009 , 4:50am by PartyCake

Mylittleflutterby Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 8:27pm
post #1 of 9

First off let me start by saying I am sorry if I have asked something like this already or if I am missing a post with this information, but please bear with me I am a newbie to the cake making/decorating from a business stand point and am stressing about what to do.

So here is my situation. I love baking and decorating and especially sharing my passion with others. I have taken a Wilton course, tested tonnes of recipes, got all the information on starting a baking business from my house (no problem at all in my area) and am in the process of filling out paperwork for a business license, but I am at a loss for how to get things started. What I want to focus on is gourmet cupcakes with a retro twist. What I mean by this is having funky flavors that remind people of childhood treats, favorite drinks etc. I plan to expand into cakes a little later. I am stressing over pricing, how to market and generate some business.

The area I live in has a huge range of income brackets and I am not too far from one of the largest cities in Canada.

Any advice or experience anyone can share would be greatly appreciated!. I really want to get started I am just nervous and kinda lost.

8 replies
costumeczar Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 10:04pm
post #2 of 9

Start with your pricing, since that seems to be what gives everyone the heebie jeebies. There are a few price matrices on CC that you can fill out to see where your pricing should be, and if there are any shops in your area that do a similar type of thing that you are thinking of doing, go there and buy some of their stuff to see what you get for how much. (Notice that I don't say to call them and act casual about asking all of their prices icon_smile.gif . You won't be fooling anyone.)

Once you get that set, you need to decide who your customer is going to be. Are you trying to be more upscale/gourmet, or do you want to do more middle-price-range stuff? Don't bother trying to compete price-wise or customer-wise with the Walmarts of the world. Their customer isn't going to be your customer if you're doing custom work.

When you decide who you're trying to sell to, you need to target how to advertise to that group. If you're doing wedding cupcakes you should get some print ads in local bridal publications that will be given out at wedding shows. You might want to do a wedding show or two to start getting your name out.

Get a website and link it to every free party-site listing, wedding sites, etc. If you're a member of ICES you can put a listing on their site. You can list it here...The more places your site is listed online, the higher it will come up in the search engines. Also make sure that you have your meta tags on your site done right, so that you'll get more hits when people search.

Mylittleflutterby Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 1:07am
post #3 of 9

Thanks you so much for the advice! I am going to go and look for the pricing info now!

Mylittleflutterby Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 1:10am
post #4 of 9

Thanks you so much for the advice! I am going to go and look for the pricing info now!

kandu001 Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 2:32am
post #5 of 9

I agree. Pricing seems to be what most people have trouble with. Your cupcakes sound like a cool idea! I wish you the best of luck!

indydebi Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 2:48am
post #6 of 9

Also join some networking groups like BNI and your local Chamber of Commerce .... great way to get the word out. A lot of chambers have a monthly newsletter and they are always looking for info, so any little thing you do can be a press release. So for instance you can be in there free every month just by "introducing" a new cupcake flavor!

Mylittleflutterby Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 3:11am
post #7 of 9

Thank you so much Indydebi for that advice! I am (believe it or not) a PR professional by trade so press releases are right up my alley. Guess it just seems that I can promote everybody else and not myself lol

I am really excited to get started!

CakeForte Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 3:31am
post #8 of 9 is a great resource for everything small business. I reference it often and it's a great starting point for you. There is also something called the "One Page Business Plan". Do a search for that. Basically that will help you with the questions you posted. It's not a full biz plan...but it will help you get the ideas churning, and "narrow in" on what you want to achieve.

In terms of marketing, yo will have to do some research, and check out the competition in order to determine how to place your business in the marketplace.

PartyCake Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 4:50am
post #9 of 9

What do you mean by free Party Site Listings? Do you go through the yellow pages in your area and have related businesses and see if they have a website and link yours to it?

Quote by @%username% on %date%