At My Wits End!!!

Business By soccermom17 Updated 18 Jul 2009 , 12:32am by indydebi

soccermom17 Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 7:14pm
post #1 of 10

Ok, I work from home. built an attached kitchen. my kids are 6 and 8 and fight, and yell when i'm working. i know that is normal, but man, when you're working on a cake and that shrill scream happens, i jump and mess up the cake. always complaining!! i've had it. just had to bust up another one. i was on vaca. mon-thur and heard froma MOB about their cake last weekend. DRY DRY DRY. the chef didn't want to serve it. Ok, that's bad. I have a good relationship with this venue and don't want it ruined. I have a gal that does my baking. I'm thinking things are getting overbaked. I use a convection oven and have a regular kitchen stove/oven. Any ideas on the convection? how to help make the cakes more moist? This one was a red velvet. I spoke with the wedding coordinator up there and she said she told the MOB they've had my cakes before and they've been wonderful and not sure what happened. I'm refunding 1/2 to the MOB and also making a red velvet for the chef and staff so they (chef) will have confiedence in recommending my desserts. Sorry so long. i guess it doesn't help i've been off my meds for a while! have to get it refilled tonight. Then maybe i'll get back to myself and the quality I know I'm capable of! Thanks everyone.
I don't freeze my cakes. when do you bake for Friday weddings or Saturday weddings? And I usually have more than 1 a weekend. Thanks CC I love you all!!!!

9 replies
Caralinc Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 7:28pm
post #2 of 10

Would you mind posting the recipe? To see what recipe entails might help to make suggestions.

Some suggestions without seeing the recipe: sour cream, yogurt...

matthewkyrankelly Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 7:30pm
post #3 of 10

I know you don't freeze your cakes, but why not use every tool in your toolbox? If you don't want to freeze, try a good cooling. I find that the process of wrapping the cakes tightly and freezing them evens the moistness of the cake. Instead of writing this off, why don't you experiment with it a little. I think you will be surprised.

PinkZiab Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 8:28pm
post #4 of 10

The primary cause of dryness is overbaking... 9 out of 10 times I would say this is the case. And if you don't usually have this problem, that's more than likely the case this time.

indydebi Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 8:28pm
post #5 of 10

When I first got my comm'l convection oven, the first three cakes that came out of it went straight to the trash. Dry. Dry. Dry. I finally figured out the combination of baking at 275 and putting a pan of water in the oven when baking cakes. No problems since.

Freezing can actually ADD moisture to the cake. You will find no shortage of professional bakers, culinary establishments, etal, that praise the effects of freezing. I used to be a "I never freezer MY cakes!" snob until I accidentally was forced into it once and wow, I couldn't believe how much better the cakes were when they came out of the freezer.

The key is proper freezing AND THAWING of the cakes.

In the baking world, "the freezer is my friend".

leah_s Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 8:46pm
post #6 of 10

Yeah, convection baking is just a different experience than regular oven. Turn down the temp and shorten the time. Dry = overbaked, generally.

soccermom17 Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 10:16pm
post #7 of 10

thanks everybody. my recipe does have buttermilk in it,no sour cream or yogurt. i believe it was overbaking. ok, yes i am a freezing of the cake, snob.
so, indydebi, what is the proper freezing and thawing? I am also going to try the water pan method. that' s what I do with my cheesecakes! (not directly in the water)
I appreciate you all taking the time to read this and help me out.

traceyjade Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 10:29pm
post #8 of 10

In my convection I usually check the cake about 15min before the time says to bake. If the cake may be dry you can always use a simple syrup to moisten.

traceyjade Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 10:30pm
post #9 of 10

In my convection I usually check the cake about 15min before the time says to bake. If the cake may be dry you can always use a simple syrup to moisten.

indydebi Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 12:32am
post #10 of 10

There are a number of opinions on how to wrap for freezing, but I think everyone agrees that you leave them wrapped while they are thawing ... the condensation forms on the outside of the wrap and keeps the moisture in the cake.

I wrap my cakes in one layer of saran when they are warm to the touch. (I use the commercial saran that you buy at Sam's or GFS ... not the crappy crap they stick housewives with at the grocery store.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%