General Rule

Decorating By Daniela Updated 24 Aug 2005 , 4:29am by SquirrellyCakes

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 23 Aug 2005 , 7:50pm
post #31 of 51

Comstock!! I have the worst memory sometimes...

cybourg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cybourg Posted 23 Aug 2005 , 7:50pm
post #32 of 51

I made a cake (Wilton Course 3 final) that I filled with Jello White Chocolate pudding, the kind you mix with milk, coverd the cake in MMF. I forgot about the filling and left it out for a couple of days, uncut. When I cut it, I covered just the cut portion with plastic wrap and put it in the fridge. Next day, sent remainder of cake to DH's work and everybody loved it. The filling was fine as was the MMF. I wouldn't suggest this for those of you sending out cakes but just thought I would share that neither the Jello or the MMF went bad.
Why should you NOT refridgerate fondant? And does this apply to MMF as well?

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 23 Aug 2005 , 7:51pm
post #33 of 51

gdixoncakes - the pastry filling sleeves come in a dozen or so flavors from fruit to cream cheese. I'm sure you can find something there to suit your taste (or their taste)

Debbie

HollyPJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HollyPJ Posted 23 Aug 2005 , 7:53pm
post #34 of 51

An all-butter buttercream made with powdered sugar is also safe.

gdixoncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gdixoncakes Posted 23 Aug 2005 , 7:57pm
post #35 of 51

Thank you so much Cakemaker, but didn't squirrlycakes say those can go bad too? I'm sorry to be daffy. I'm just so confused. lol.

So, have you had luck refridgerating fondant, cybourg?

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 23 Aug 2005 , 8:00pm
post #36 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachcakes

In response to the lemon filling, I have successfully used lemon pie filling from the can (the name escapes me at the moment) and it has been ok at room temp a few days.

I know when I lived in Florida a while back I couldn't find it and had to have my mom send me some, so maybe it's a northeast thing?

Haha, no they actually do now have lemon pie filling in a can here, they didn't have it until recently. That is what I was wondering, how it would hold up since it doesn't seem to be quite like the Jello one, it seems more thick. But I haven't tried it left out at room temperature.
Well, you can use a simple syrup flavoured anyway you like with liquers and such. You can flavour your buttercream, some folks like the Loriann flavourings or the candy oil flavourings. Some peope use Nutella. Or they sandwich in a filling of nuts or coconut or such in between their buttercream.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

thecakemaker Posted 23 Aug 2005 , 8:01pm
post #37 of 51

gdixoncakes - she said that she has heard that the bavarian creme can go sour. I've never tried the bavarian creme but I have used the fruit fillings and they were fine.

Debbie

thecakemaker Posted 23 Aug 2005 , 8:04pm
post #38 of 51

Here is the quote from sugarcraft.com

Cake Fillings for torting cakes, Pastry - 2 lb - Comes in a plastic sleeve, snip off the end and use. Cake does not need to be refrigerated as with jellies. Pastry filling contains preservatives to keep down the bacteria that can lead to food poisoning! The cream cheese is artificial and harmless.

Debbie

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 23 Aug 2005 , 8:05pm
post #39 of 51

THe problem I've had with refrigerating MMF is that when you take it out, it sweats, leaving the cake shiny. I've only refrigerated a cake covered in plain fondant, but i've also heard the tinted colors can run as a result.

gdixoncakes Posted 23 Aug 2005 , 8:07pm
post #40 of 51

Thanks Debbie, that's clearer now. So, fruit fillings are another one. That helps. Thanks too SquirrellyCakes. Wow, I didn't realize fondant really limits the possiblities. I learn so much from you all.

thecakemaker Posted 23 Aug 2005 , 8:10pm
post #41 of 51

You're welcome!

I have read that some fondants can be refrigerated if placed in a box and wrapped tightly with plastic wrap. Then you bring it to room temp still wrapped so condensation doesn't settle/form on it. I had condensation on my son's Kirby and the Warp Star cake (in my gallery) so I sat it with fans on it until it reached room temp. It turned out fine but the fondant was a little shinier than usual because of the water. Maybe you could make a small test cake?

Debbie

gdixoncakes Posted 23 Aug 2005 , 8:16pm
post #42 of 51

Thanks Debbie! One more question. Was your son's cake MMF?

SquirrellyCakes Posted 23 Aug 2005 , 8:21pm
post #43 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecakemaker

Here is the quote from sugarcraft.com

Cake Fillings for torting cakes, Pastry - 2 lb - Comes in a plastic sleeve, snip off the end and use. Cake does not need to be refrigerated as with jellies. Pastry filling contains preservatives to keep down the bacteria that can lead to food poisoning! The cream cheese is artificial and harmless.

Debbie

Yes Debbie, I know that is what it says, but a few folks say that is actually tastes funny sometimes. So perhaps even though it is not harmful, it can just taste like it is turning?
Haha, personally that is why I do not like Bavarian Cream Donuts, sometimes they taste a bit sour and it is my understanding that they are made with this same type of filling.
Actually I have heard that the Cream Cheese one can taste a bit odd too after a day or two.
I have had some raspberry filled pastries that were made with these sleeve type fillings, from bakeries and I found that they had an odd taste. So I think it might be wise to taste try any you would buy as some folks don't like them, some do.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

cybourg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cybourg Posted 23 Aug 2005 , 9:03pm
post #44 of 51

The MMF I refridgerated was just white so no color running problems. Since that was my first try with MMF, I guess I just lucked out. My previous Wilton Fondant cake I left out in a cake container (like Tupperware) and it melted and sagged down the sides. My house is always air conditioned but guess that 77 degrees during the day is still too hot. Or was it because the container kept moisture in and caused it to look like that?

SquirrellyCakes Posted 23 Aug 2005 , 9:46pm
post #45 of 51

Gee, 77 F shouldn't do this to the Wilton fondant, is it possible the humidity was so high that it made the temperature really high or that the sun was shining on the cake? Wilton fondant should only start to melt 89-99F because shortening melts at these temperatures.
If you can control the humidity level in your refridgerator, if you have a super deluxe model, not just vents that open and close, you will likely stand a better chance of keeping a fondant covered cake from getting too slimey or wet looking. But refrigeration always effect the sheen of your fondant and the longer the cake is refrigerated, the more effect there is. Marshmallow fondant is even worse, likely because it is applied much thinner.
The thinner the fondant, the worse the effect so fondant decorations, like thin-petalled flowers, will slime out rapidly. If you apply fondant decorations on a buttercream iced cake and these decorations are not well dried, as in at least a week of drying time, if you apply them too early before delivery time, as in more than one day, there is a risk they will also slime out. What happens is they absorb the grease from the buttercream and if the cake is kept in a well sealed container, the deterioration is even worse. Now they may look fine, but touch them and they will be slimey and be a slimey texture. You have to realize that when you apply fondant to a buttercream covered cake, you are applying about 1/4 inch. When you make fondant flowers, they are usually less than 1/16 of an inch and this is why they do not hold up. Even well dried fondant decorations will slime out in approximately 2-4 days of being at room temperature on a buttercream iced cake.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

dandelion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion Posted 23 Aug 2005 , 11:26pm
post #46 of 51

omigosh!!! i'm so glad i read this! i've been using pudding cups in all my cakes! (thank goodness i refrigerate them.) thanks for all the info!

SquirrellyCakes Posted 23 Aug 2005 , 11:45pm
post #47 of 51

Heehee, well I guess the thing is, it is recommended that you refrigerate these pudding filled cakes. Doesn't mean the cake will always slime out or someone will croak from eating it, just means there is a risk. Small children and the elderly and people with compromised immune systems are more susceptible to food poisoning.
Reminds me of a friend of mine whose mother wasn't cautious about cooking turkeys. So my friend's wife wouldn't eat turkey at his mother's house and this always caused a bit of a fight. Anyway, my friend got really ill the day after Christmas and was rushed to hospital. He suffered a mild stroke, they couldn't get his blood pressure down and he couldn't walk. Turns out he was the only member of the family that showed the food poisoning symptoms, salmonella. He developed rheumatoid arthritis directly related to the salmonella poisoning and he was only 28. Eight other people had eaten turkey, two of them small children and two elderly people and they were all fine.
Makes you think, doesn't it?
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 24 Aug 2005 , 2:25am
post #48 of 51

That story reminds me of my Nanny's house. My husband will eat nothing, zero at her house not even cereal-not even if I wash the bowl and spoon for him. She is in her 80's and comes from the days in the south when you just put a sheet over the food at the family reuion after lunch until everyone got hungry again then voila remove the sheet and dinner is done-aaahhhhhh! She is famous for just putting the lids on everything after Thanksgiving dinner until we all come back at 6 to eat again. I therefore try to "help" with the cooking and clean up (ie put the darn food in the fridge when we are done!) so I can eat and not worry about a trip to the emergency room!!!! Oh yeah-handwashing not so important either uuuuggggghhhhh!!!!!

SquirrellyCakes Posted 24 Aug 2005 , 2:51am
post #49 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodibug

That story reminds me of my Nanny's house. My husband will eat nothing, zero at her house not even cereal-not even if I wash the bowl and spoon for him. She is in her 80's and comes from the days in the south when you just put a sheet over the food at the family reuion after lunch until everyone got hungry again then voila remove the sheet and dinner is done-aaahhhhhh! She is famous for just putting the lids on everything after Thanksgiving dinner until we all come back at 6 to eat again. I therefore try to "help" with the cooking and clean up (ie put the darn food in the fridge when we are done!) so I can eat and not worry about a trip to the emergency room!!!! Oh yeah-handwashing not so important either uuuuggggghhhhh!!!!!

Heehee, well, you know, maybe it made these folks a lot tougher physically, haha! Did you ever notice that, they seem to be able to withstand anything! Hhmn, I remember well when folks didn't worry about how long mayonaisse stayed at room temperature either and yet I don't remember anyone getting sick from it.
Haha, she does sound like a very interesting individual!
Hugs Squirrelly

dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 24 Aug 2005 , 4:25am
post #50 of 51

That is the funny thing-she and my grandpa are never sick, I mean never! I guess over the years you do build a tolerance! I just have to be so creative with reasons why I won't eat certain things there. She thinks I am just a picky eater-little does she know! She is definitely a character and a half and I love her dearly!! I should add she is better about handwashing since my little one came along. We had to be so careful with him when he was really little that it has carried over (thank goodnes!) icon_wink.gif

SquirrellyCakes Posted 24 Aug 2005 , 4:29am
post #51 of 51

Haha, it is amazing how little ones help change things! My mother was fussier when the children were little too!
Hugs Squirrelly

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%