Cake Photo Display Help, Please...

Business By kellertur Updated 20 Jul 2009 , 12:58am by kellertur

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 5:11pm
post #1 of 13

I am a first time exhibitor tomorrow and I planned to mount some 5x7s & 8x10s to one of those fold out cardboard display boards. What should I use as a background behind the photos, because I don't want the cardboard to show?

I can't believe I'm drawing a blank on this... I've had the flu for 3 days, so my faculties are not all there.

Thank you.

12 replies
messy_chef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
messy_chef Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 5:40pm
post #2 of 13

Maybe scrapbooking paper? Or wrapping paper?

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 1:39am
post #3 of 13

Fabric??

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 1:51am
post #4 of 13

I would think a nice dark colored felt.

brookerene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brookerene Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 2:13am
post #5 of 13

Well pick a simple fabric to put over the cardboard, next mount the photos onto some solid colored scrapbooking paper that is larger than the photo (this frames it) then mount them onto the display. The place a few photos in frames around the display. You also should create a photo book or scrapbook to put other photos in. Good luck!

kellertur Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 3:43am
post #6 of 13

Thanks for the ideas. icon_smile.gif I just finished it... I kept it somewhat simple, yet attractive since this is for a veggie food fest and we're a pretty laid back people.

Next time I will try the fabric/felt idea... I bet that looks sharp.

Thank you again. icon_smile.gif

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 9:17am
post #7 of 13

Good luck with your first show... you know I will be expecting a full report. Hope you are feeling 100% today too. No fun (or fair) being sick for your first big event.

kellertur Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 12:35am
post #8 of 13

Here's an update~

The festival went very well, and my daughter had the patience of a saint. Luckily, husband was there to help.

My samples were gone within the first hour... icon_eek.gif

The only negative sides were that I am still under the weather (more now that I'm back home). And, no one seemed to care that their kids were picking the icing off my cake dummies. I finally said something "nicely" to a kid who was eating the fondant boarder off one of them, and his mother gave me the "death stare". I was ready to be all... "you want a piece of me lady? .... YOU GOT IT!!!!" icon_twisted.gif

It went well and I think I'm booked for next summer... I honestly don't know how you all do these shows all the time.. this one was 4 hours and I'm wiped.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 6:52pm
post #9 of 13

Good to hear that it was a sucess!! (even with the pesky kiddos icon_lol.gif) 4 hours isn't too bad.. the last one I did went from 2-8pm (and we were there at 11:00)... I had no voice at the end of it all. It did have a winde tasting though that I got to participate in so that was a perk. icon_wink.gif It is a ton more work than you ever think though. I remember my first one... I was totally wiped and it was only a 4 hour show too.

I hope you are feeling better soon.

kellertur Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 10:43pm
post #10 of 13

I'm feeling better today, although still no appetite. I guess I'm just off food right now...

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 12:39am
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by K2cakes

I was ready to be all... "you want a piece of me lady? .... YOU GOT IT!!!!" icon_twisted.gif

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Don't they know that it's a bad idea to mess with a tired, overworked cake lady who is also feeling like crap and pumped full of meds? Bad idea. Very bad! icon_lol.gif

kellertur Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 12:56am
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:

I was ready to be all... "you want a piece of me lady? .... YOU GOT IT!!!!" icon_twisted.gif

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Don't they know that it's a bad idea to mess with a tired, overworked cake lady who is also feeling like crap and pumped full of meds? Bad idea. Very bad! icon_lol.gif

I was popping Advil every couple of hours... unfortunately, my system can't take anything stronger... Seriously though, the claws were coming out by the time that kid had pulled the sugar necklace off my "gown" dummy. It went in the trash this morning. icon_sad.gif

kellertur Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 12:58am
post #13 of 13
Quote:

Picture it said in the voice of "Frank Costanza"... icon_twisted.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%