Silly Question..

Decorating By mindy1204 Updated 18 Jul 2009 , 3:38pm by BakingGirl

mindy1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindy1204 Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 5:11pm
post #1 of 9

I went at lunch today and bought the 8 inch round boards. I am making a 2 tierd cake 10 and 8 inch. However, it says on the package to use for 6 or 7 inch cakes. Did I get the wrong thing? I already had the 10 inch and plan on using them for my 10 tier.

Is this correct?

TIA

8 replies
Faithbound Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Faithbound Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 5:17pm
post #2 of 9

If you are making your largest tier 10 inches you should use 12 inch circles. Using the ten inch cake board circles will leave you 0 room to transport the cake. Your cake will cover the entire surface. That is only good for your second tier on up. Hope this helps. Also, make sure you cover your board in foil. Otherwise the grease from the frosting will make it wet and flimsy.

Sweetriley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetriley Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 5:19pm
post #3 of 9

You got the right size. When it says for 6 or 7 inch cake, they mean a single cake without tiers.

Faithbound Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Faithbound Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 5:19pm
post #4 of 9

If you are making your largest tier 10 inches you should use 12 inch circles. Using the ten inch cake board circles will leave you 0 room to transport the cake. Your cake will cover the entire surface. That is only good for your second tier on up. Hope this helps. Also, make sure you cover your board in foil. Otherwise the grease from the frosting will make it wet and flimsy.

mindy1204 Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 5:47pm
post #5 of 9

Ok thinking this thru more.. I am putting the entire cake on a 12 inch foil covered board. I guess I do not really need the 10 inch board right? I was planning on using both but that make increase my risk of slipage. So I will us the 12 inch foil covered board, cake, 8 inch board, and then cake right?

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 6:19pm
post #6 of 9

And when we say "cover the cardboard in foil" we're talking about cake foil paper, NOT Reynolds wrap.

mindy1204 Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 6:40pm
post #7 of 9

No Reynolds... I have one of the 12 inch already covered Wilton. I needed one for class and had one left so i figured I would just use that.

JawdroppingCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JawdroppingCakes Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 3:22pm
post #8 of 9

Does regular foil mess up the cake if you cover the board with it?

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 3:38pm
post #9 of 9

I am confused. Did you bake cardboard cake circles, or presentation boards? If it is the cardboard cake circles then they should be the same size as the cake so they are not visible. If it is a cake drum / presentation cake board then you should have at least a couple of inches extra so that you can add borders, to make it more visually pleasing and to have some extra space so you can pick up the cake without bumping it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%