How Do You Calculate Cake/person Amount?

Decorating By southernbakes Updated 17 Jul 2009 , 5:45pm by Kay_NL

southernbakes Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 4:47pm
post #1 of 7

I'm very new to the cake world and this site so I apologize if this has been asked before.

I am making a cake for my friend's engagement party next month and I want to do a tiered cake. There are 50 people invited and I have never made that much cake before and don't know how much to do.

Is there a rule of thumb determining how much cake to make or a website that helps. I tired googling this morning but couldn't really find anything.

Thanks so much in advance for you help!!!

6 replies
MyDiwa Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 5:13pm
post #2 of 7

You can use Earlene's chart (bigger servings) or the Wilton chart. You can find these on the respective websites.

leah_s Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 5:24pm
post #4 of 7

Jamie's got it. Definitely use the Wilton chart.

DeeDelightful Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 5:32pm
post #5 of 7

Most people set a price per person (example: $2.00 per serving or more for fondant/detailed decorations). If there are special figures or gumpaste bows, people usually charge extra for those.

southernbakes Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 5:36pm
post #6 of 7

I didn't even think to check Wilton's site!!! :icon_biggrin.gifUH::

Thanks y'all!!

Kay_NL Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 5:45pm
post #7 of 7

I'm confessing to be a nerd here, lol, I use the height and dimensions of a cake in my spreadsheet and have all the formulas put in there to determine servings, then costs, etc. It is the same as the servings charts but easier for me to manipulate and add things together, do up size combinations, etc.. icon_smile.gif

A 2 inch high cake serving size is 2x2, a 4 inch high cake serving size is 1x2.

Quote by @%username% on %date%