??? For Those Who Make Lots Of Gp Bows

Decorating By Misdawn Updated 17 Jul 2009 , 7:02pm by Kitagrl

Misdawn Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 4:29pm
post #1 of 14

Ok I have made gumpaste bows in the past...quite a few actually. So my ?? is not a "how do I make one?"

I need to make a bow that is hot pink with black edges. How do I do the edges? I can't paint it on because 1) I take medicine that makes me shake slightly and it would be very evident when I paint! and 2) I think the black would bleed onto the pink anyway.

So....what do I do? I'm so totally lost! icon_cry.gif

Thanks!
Misty

P.S. The cake is for one week from today, so I need to get started pretty quickly.

13 replies
bobwonderbuns Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 4:38pm
post #2 of 14

If you have Sugarshack's Boxes and Bows DVD, she does bows with 4 mm pearls on the edges. Gorgeous!! Also you can take the gumpaste bow, put masking tape on it in the center and paint around the edges with food color -- strip off the masking tape and voila -- a clean edge! icon_biggrin.gif Hope that helps some! icon_biggrin.gif

tiggy2 Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 4:39pm
post #3 of 14

You could put a black rope or pearl border on it or cut a very thin strip of black gum paste and glue it to the edges of each strip before forming the loop. HTH

DianeLM Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 4:44pm
post #4 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

You could put a black rope or pearl border on it or cut a very thin strip of black gum paste and glue it to the edges of each strip before forming the loop. HTH

Good advice! You can also add the black border AFTER the loops have dried. Sometimes it's a little difficult to manipulate the strips when they have something freshly glued to the edges.

If you have a clay gun, this would be the perfect job for it. icon_smile.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 4:44pm
post #5 of 14

Here you go: The tutorials in this thread are amazing and should help you out: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=640531&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

all4cake Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 4:48pm
post #6 of 14

http://www.tartacadabra.nl/howtos/strik.html

you can use the same technique no matter which type bow you decide to make.

icer101 Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 5:05pm
post #7 of 14

i use glenda galvez's technique.. i put my pearl edges on while g/p is still fresh. she has 2 great dvd's .. one on her way of making big roses and pearl edged bows. they are great also. auntglendacakes.com... you use the tiny pearl maker by ck.. put it up against the bow strip . and on the inside.. you use a tool to press the edge of the pearl(little edges that comes off with the pearl.. you press it to the g/p strip. then glue the end and fold and hang up .or i just sat them up on their edges. and watch them you do the tails the same way.. put pearls down each side of the tails. and throw on crumpled foil and let dry.. you can see a gold one in my photos with the golden wedding anniversary... hth

Misdawn Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 5:18pm
post #8 of 14

bob- wouldn't the masking tape stick? and break the bow? I'm a little confused...

Misdawn Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 5:22pm
post #9 of 14

bob- wouldn't the masking tape stick? and break the bow? I'm a little confused...

bobwonderbuns Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 5:32pm
post #10 of 14

I got that idea from another decorator who does it all the time. Masking tape isn't known for great stickablility. Make sure the gumpaste is completely dry before using the tape.

pianocat Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 5:35pm
post #11 of 14

I just cut thin strips of fondant/gp and gum glued it to edges of dried loops. I have a photo of one I did in my pics.

Mikel79 Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 6:44pm
post #12 of 14

Hi!

I use Sharon Zambitos Boxes and Bows DVD. Here is a link to my Gumpaste bow that I made with a pearl edging...

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1416031.html

HTH!!

=)

Misdawn Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 6:53pm
post #13 of 14

I don't have Sharon's DVD...Idon't even think I could order it in time.

Kitagrl Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 7:02pm
post #14 of 14

If all else fails, take black royal icing and a number 2 round tip and make a tiny bead border around the bow edges after its dried and assembled.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%