Can I Put Fondant In A Candy Mold?

Decorating By MorningLorri Updated 17 Jul 2009 , 3:28pm by Angfastic

MorningLorri Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 3:15pm
post #1 of 6

I want to make some fondant pieces using a candy mold. Has anyone done this? I'm wondering if I need to coat the mold with anything first - powdered sugar, baking spray! Also should I let the fondant set before removing it from the mold or is it like playdoh where I just press it in and pull it right back out?

Sorry is this has been discussed before. I'm a newbie! icon_smile.gif

5 replies
cakeladyinri Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 3:22pm
post #2 of 6

I have used candy molds with fondant, I dust them with powered sugar and they come out okay when they are soft but if you have time to wait for them to dry a bit they would come out great.

tiggy2 Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 3:24pm
post #3 of 6

Dust your mold with PS before putting the fondant in it or it will stick (ask me how I know). I let it sit in the mold a few minutes then use a pin or needle on the back side to help lift it out. I'm going to try tapping the mold on the counter, like tappits, to see if it will come out that way. I'm making some palm trees this weekend so I'll let you know if it works.

Win Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 3:24pm
post #4 of 6

I'm actually using gumpaste in a candy mold even as I write. I use a very light coating of shortening and dust the mold with corn starch which allows the piece to pop right out!

BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 3:25pm
post #5 of 6

You can also dust the inside of the mold with corn starch then tap out the extra and push in your fiondant. I usually make a smooth ball of fondant then roll it in corn starch and tap off the etra then push it in. Let it set up a bit before you turn over the mold and tap it on the counter and they should pop right out.

Angfastic Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 3:28pm
post #6 of 6

I actually did this not too long ago and I ended up putting the tray in the freezer for a little bit and they popped out easily. They were shiny from being in the freezer, but that went away when they dried.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%