Help Please!!

Decorating By pieceacake830 Updated 17 Jul 2009 , 2:56pm by Win

pieceacake830 Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 2:20pm
post #1 of 8

I am doing a cake for a clam bake, and I molded the clam shells out of white chocolate, "glued" them open so they looked like they've just been steamed.... so what I want to do is make the actual "clam" out of fondant and to give it that wet look, I was thinking about brushing the clam and inside the shell with piping gel... Does anyone know if brushing the piping gel onto the fondant creates any problems, like maybe making the fondant loose its shape or "melting"?? The cake is for Sunday, but I have to deliver tomorrow, so I want to make sure I'm not making a mistake by having the gel sit on the fondant for that long....

Sorry this is long, and thank you all for your help in this!!!

I LOVE CC!!!!!!

7 replies
newnancy Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 2:29pm
post #2 of 8

Interesting question.......here's a bump.

curliesue26 Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 2:32pm
post #3 of 8

I used piping gel on marshmellow fondant once...no real problems overnite, not sure how long it would last though...the fondant was slightly mushy...nothing to worry about.
Good Luck!

curliesue26 Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 2:33pm
post #4 of 8

I used piping gel on marshmellow fondant once...no real problems overnite, not sure how long it would last though...the fondant was slightly mushy...nothing to worry about.
Good Luck!

curliesue26 Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 2:34pm
post #5 of 8

Good Luck!

sadie098 Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 2:43pm
post #6 of 8

Have you ever tried holding your clam muscle piece over a steaming pot of water? This gives the shine you want without breaking the fondant down. You may need to do it once and set aside till it dries and then hold over again so it gets shinier and stays that way. Hope that helps

divaessence Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 2:46pm
post #7 of 8

Would you consider brushing it with a light layer of vegetable oil? I believe that would work, at least temporarily. Check out this beehive cake, for an example: http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1179835.html

Good luck!

Win Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 2:56pm
post #8 of 8

I don't think I have the photo in my CC gallery (it is in the gallery on my website below,) but I did a mermaid sitting on a rock and painted the mermaid's tail with piping gel as well as much of the rock. It stayed shiny for a looong time (it was a competition cake, so I kept it around for a bit.) There was no issue with fondant breaking down at any time in the entire time it sat around. HTH!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%