Fondant Decorations On Buttercream

Decorating By viv36 Updated 20 Jul 2009 , 12:59pm by drakegore

viv36 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
viv36 Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 12:31pm
post #1 of 6

Hi all,

I hope I have this question in the correct forum! This may be pretty easy for most but since this will be my first time, not sure how to do this!

I would like to make a transformer cake for my son's birthday and I saw one in the galleries that he liked. It was iced with BC and had fondant letters stuck to the sides of the cake. How do I stick the fondant letters to the side of the cake without them sliding down the cake?

Thanks!

5 replies
chocolatestone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocolatestone Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 12:49pm
post #2 of 6

I made a buttercream cake with fondant accents a while back but from my experiences it's not very difficult to attach fondant accents to buttercream. If the buttercream is non crusting then you could just place them on the cake. If the buttercream is a crusting one then you would need to moisten the fondant accents with a wet brush before placing them on the cake. Just remember not to use too much water as this will dissolve the fondant and also cause the colour to bleed onto the cake. If the letters slide off the cake then they are probably too heavy. You would need to roll them out thinly. I've only done one cake but these are a few points I remember from that experience.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 4:12pm
post #3 of 6

I just use a blop of BC on the underside of the fondant piece to attach it. easy peasy.

viv36 Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 1:06am
post #4 of 6

Thanks for your posts! Can I use fondant cutouts over a whipped cream frosting?

viv36 Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 12:14pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I just use a blop of BC on the underside of the fondant piece to attach it. easy peasy.

Can i use whipped cream frosting on the cake (instead of BC) then apply fondant pieces?

Thanks for your post

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 12:59pm
post #6 of 6

i think i read on cc somewhere that whipped cream frostings and fondant aren't a good match, but i have no personal experience. hopefully, someone with experience in whipped cream frostings will let you know for sure icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%