Ladies, Cakes + Wine?

Decorating By illustreeous Updated 17 Jul 2009 , 1:06pm by illustreeous

illustreeous Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
illustreeous Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 12:16pm
post #1 of 3

Good Morning Ladies !
I have a question regarding what cakes go well with what wines?

Long story short, I have a non profit charity event that will be selling wine throughout the event which becomes another source of $$ for their cause (5$ goes to http://TheAsheFoundation.org for every bottle sold .)

Since i'd like everyone's tasting palette to be clean, Wouldnt it be best that I match a cake to the red wine & another flavor to the white wine?

So what flavors would work best for Red wine?
& ditto for White wine ?

Thanks a billion! icon_biggrin.gif

2 replies
miss_sweetstory Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miss_sweetstory Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 12:49pm
post #2 of 3

Food/wine pairing can be broadly interpreted. The more the people at your events know about wine, the more important the subject. But to keep it simple:

Chocolate desserts pair well with merlots, cabernets and port. If you want to pair chocolate with a white wine, a Reisling is a good choice.

Champagne and sparkling wine can also be a good choice. The rule of thumb is the sweeter the dessert, the sweeter the champagne choice.

That said, if you really want the attendees to taste the wine, they need to do so before they taste the accompanying dessert. (Any food will affect their perception of flavor and aroma.) Between wines they should cleanse their palettes with something neutral such as bread. You should also have plenty of water available.

Hope that the fundraiser is very successful!

illustreeous Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
illustreeous Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 1:06pm
post #3 of 3

thanks!

the thing is that the Jazz house hosting the event for them has already picked all the wines prior to the event. Unfortunatly I cant obtain a list of the certain ones being served.
The event is more for the Jazz & is accompained by wine + food. So i doubt that every understands pairing & etc.
So i'll stick to that rule but if anyone has any specifics please yell em out! icon_lol.gif

fillings? other flavors? icings? creams?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%