12X18 In X3 Cake Pan

Decorating By carpet Updated 17 Jul 2009 , 1:02pm by ladixiechic1

carpet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carpet Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 10:46am
post #1 of 5

My sister gave me a dark12x18x3 cake pan.How much batter do i need ? what tempture do i bake it ?How long do i bake it for ? And 1 or 2 flower nails ? So many questions sorry about that .Any help is appreciate thank you carpet

4 replies
Tiffany29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffany29 Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 11:35am
post #2 of 5

That pan can hold up to 3 cake boxed cake mixes. I use a homemade chocolate cake recipe and I only make 2 batches. (I tried 3 batches once and almost had a fire in my oven!!!) If I use boxed mixes I like to use 2 1/2 the cake bakes more evenly and I don't have to level it. icon_smile.gif

Tiffany29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffany29 Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 11:41am
post #3 of 5

oh, and since I have a small oven, I bake @325 for about an hr. I'm not really sure I know it's done by the smell!!!

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 12:40pm
post #4 of 5

another "by smell" here too, tho' I usually back that up with the "toothpick comes out clean" test too.

I put at least 2 and more commonly 6 flower nails in this size pan as well as wrap it with bake even strips.

if working with box mix, consider using the extender or enhanced recipes (i sort of mangle the two together, but -- instead of flour and sugar, I measure an equal amount of box mix)

ladixiechic1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladixiechic1 Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 1:02pm
post #5 of 5

I have that pan and it calls for 14 cups of batter. It says to bake for 45-50 minutes but I find that I have to bake it a little longer. Also I have a standard oven and that pan doesn't leave much room for circulation. So when I preheat my oven to 325 degrees and put the pan in the oven, my oven temperature shoots up to 425. (It is very important to have a oven thermometer.) So I check the thermometer and when it shoots up to 425 I have to readjust the oven nob to 200 - 225 degrees to compensate for the changes. When I do that the oven thermometer reads around 325. Believe me I learned this the hard way icon_cool.gif

Good luck icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%