Getting The Pediatrician To Take Me Seriously

Lounge By Texas_Rose

Texas_Rose Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 7:28am
post #1 of 1

It's almost time for my daughter's checkup. Sophia is about to turn 4 and she's 35 inches tall. For more than two years she's been below the 3rd percentile in height...but our doctor doesn't think it's cause for concern. First he said they must have measured her wrong before, then last year he said that it was common for kids to "lose" an inch of height when they started measuring them standing up. He was a little concerned because she had such a big head but then he measured my head and said I had the biggest head he'd ever seen on a woman icon_redface.gif Sophia has a long trunk and short limbs and really well defined muscles. By comparison, my older daughter was 42 inches tall when she turned 4.

I like our doctor. He's a really smart man. His office is a 10 minute walk from our house, and whenever I call with a sick kid, he sees them the same day. So I don't want to switch doctors, but I feel like I'll have to if he doesn't take Sophia's height issue seriously. How can I persuade him that she needs some testing?

(By the way, I'm fine with her being short, but there are some issues that make me worry, for example she has trouble reaching to wipe because of her long trunk and short arms. She also knows she's smaller than other kids her age and she's sensitive about it. People mistake her for a baby all the time too and it upsets her.)

0 replies

Quote by @%username% on %date%