Check Out This Craig's List Cake Ad...not Sure What To Think

Decorating By CakeDiva73 Updated 17 Jul 2009 , 4:28am by all4cake

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 3:13am
post #1 of 7

So I was browsing on Craig's List tonight and came across this ad:

First to start I am a custom cake designer with many cakes under my belt. I have noticed more and more lately that people are posting their talents on craigslist of their cake decorating skills. This is fine and dandy but to those of you who are looking for a special cake for that special moment, you need to do your home work a bit. Please ask for example photos of their work possibly a website and references never hurt.

If you are getting charged usually anything under $2.25 a serving for butter cream and under $3.00 a serving for fondant covered cakes I would question the baker!!!

I am only posting this ad due to the fact I have had two brides this month come to me only after dealing with another baker from craigslist who had stood them up two weeks before their wedding cake was due. PLEASE brides get references if dealing with a home based decorator.

I thank you for your time and if you need any pointers please contact me and let me know.

As for you cake decorators ...come on guys people depend on us for special moments, your reputation depends on other peoples experiences of your work and attitude.

With that said
Have a wonderful day!!

Just curious what others thought about this ad? I had some definite opinions, lol, but was curious if I was being too cynical. icon_razz.gif

6 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 3:35am
post #2 of 7

I don't have a problem with it.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 3:43am
post #3 of 7

Seems poster is just advising consumers to do their homework.

lilboo529 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilboo529 Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 3:51am
post #4 of 7

the craigslist in my area had that same posting up

tanyascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tanyascakes Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 3:51am
post #5 of 7

I would say that too. But she should also look at what the other decorators area prices are. I am assuming they must be in her's for her to know if they are undercharging. But I know it is hard as you know what to get people to pay my prices like that. I am near a military base to boot. With not really anything else around to offer cakes that aren't hours away. I can't charge like they do in Kansas City when I am down in Podunk, Kansas. So sometimes I have to adjust to lower than what I did when I was overseas. I think she is right with the homework thing. But she shouldn't say that the price should bring you pause in every occassion. JMHO!!

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 3:57am
post #6 of 7

I see nothing wrong with it. This is probably a designer who had a few too many last-minute calls from frantic brides who got screwed by ads on CL.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 4:28am
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeDiva73

So I was browsing on Craig's List tonight and came across this ad:

PLEASE brides get references if dealing with a home based decorator.

With that said
Have a wonderful day!!

Just curious what others thought about this ad? I had some definite opinions, lol, but was curious if I was being too cynical. icon_razz.gif

Regardless of being home-based or not, a person who is planning on forking over big cake $$$ should consider getting references/contracts/whateverittakes to make them feel comfortable with dealing with them as a possible vendor and to cover their own ass should something go amok....to have some recourse should something like the above happen....

shikaka happens whether one is home-based or not....how the business handles/plans to handle these situations is something to research....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%