Just Gotta Get It Off My Chest

Decorating By cdavis Updated 17 Jul 2009 , 6:03am by tinygoose

cdavis Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 3:04am
post #1 of 11

Long story short.
I have a friend
Son getting married out of state
Wants a Texas shaped cake decorated like Texas flag for grooms cake
Friend is cake newbie. Never heard of fondant or ganache.
Asks me to help her make this cake so that she can make it out of state later.
I give her very detailed ideas and instructions.
We've talked about it for months.
I lend her the supplies, pan, rack, cutters, etc.
Teach her how to color, roll and apply fondant.
We decorate practice cake at my house with mostly my stuff.
She posts pics I took on her facebook page and totally takes credit for the practice cake, without one single thank you or mention about me.
Comes back the next day asking for additional details, ideas, suggestions.
I am blown away at the audacity................. icon_eek.gif

10 replies
-K8memphis Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 3:17am
post #2 of 11

Call her on it. Tell her she needs to be up front about it not being entirely her own work.

Rylan Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 3:41am
post #3 of 11

Some people just don't have a sense of gratitude.

cdavis Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 3:51am
post #4 of 11

Oh, forgot to mention she actually brought me a postcard where someone else in town is offering fondant classes at 65.00 each. Guess she really got a deal. You'd think she could say thanks. Thanks for the replies guys. I've checked out your stuff and your cakes are really cool.

cupcakeco Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 4:13am
post #5 of 11

It might be a little snide, but you could always leave her a photo comment on facebook. Something along the lines of: "I'm so proud of you! You really did a great job-- must be because I'm such a great instructor icon_smile.gif "

Heheh

CanadianCakin Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 4:55am
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakeco

It might be a little snide, but you could always leave her a photo comment on facebook. Something along the lines of: "I'm so proud of you! You really did a great job-- must be because I'm such a great instructor icon_smile.gif "

Heheh

Ohhhh I like that! It's totally backhanded...those are my favorite insults...so sweet..until you think about a minute....but you won't get it as being mean unless you know the whole story!

all4cake Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 5:06am
post #7 of 11

Or leave a comment, "That looks great! You should have no problems doing the next one on your own. Keep up the good work!"

MLand Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 5:10am
post #8 of 11

I agree with Cupcakeco- you deserve credit where it should be given!!

cupcakeco Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 5:37am
post #9 of 11

@momma_ash --that's the point HEHE. The rude friend will get it like a finger in her ribs, and anyone else who views the picture will just sort of "get it" that she had (lots of) help.

GenGen Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 5:59am
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdavis

Long story short.
I have a friend
Son getting married out of state
Wants a Texas shaped cake decorated like Texas flag for grooms cake
Friend is cake newbie. Never heard of fondant or ganache.
Asks me to help her make this cake so that she can make it out of state later.
I give her very detailed ideas and instructions.
We've talked about it for months.
I lend her the supplies, pan, rack, cutters, etc.
Teach her how to color, roll and apply fondant.
We decorate practice cake at my house with mostly my stuff.
She posts pics I took on her facebook page and totally takes credit for the practice cake, without one single thank you or mention about me.
Comes back the next day asking for additional details, ideas, suggestions.
I am blown away at the audacity................. icon_eek.gif

that happened to me too. was asked to do a 3rd reception cake (yes the MOB held 3 receptions for her daughter) and then they kept changing this that etc,, then she emailed me again and said 'they decided they want the same cake as last time" which looked like crap in my opinion. was supposedly done by a professional too. she showed me the cake it was designed after and looked nothing like it. i was so tired of all this and told her "normaly after such and such date most decorators don't allow for changes. now is this what you want etc" she was like "what? what are you talking bout?"

then i told her in regards to doing the cake like one they had done i said i would not do it. i told her if they wanted the same cake- get the same designer to do it because i was not going to have something like that associated with my name!

so getting closer to the decorating time she asked if i could bake at her house (she lives near me) and if i could teach her how to this that etc. i didn't mind on this part. i enjoyed sharing the hobby- i get over there to find she'd already baked the cakes.. i was livid. i told her i only liked using cakes i baked myself because then i knew the structure of the cake etc was sound etc.. plus we had to rebake a few layers because her pans that she thought were so wonderful were .. terrible.

so any how i did the work such as making the frosting, icing etc, making the fondant etc.., she helped cut out fondant circles and balls for the border.. we get to the reception on a day i had to go to work right after.. well they wanted to wait for some certain folks to arrive.. then they had to wait for this.. finaly i told her i had to go so the MOB got things started (she's a real control freak btw) some one asked her about the cake and right in front of me she said "i did it"

" oh and so did my friend. she taught me how to etc etc"

she then went on after that time frame to tell everyone she did it.. i was livid. its posted on one of my pages, i gave her full credit in the fact we both worked on it together etc. never once defering any sole credit to myself.

finaly as she got further into the hobby she went back and corrected her listings to show that we both worked on it.

if not for the fact we live so close and its a small town i'd have wrote it off early on into the changes etc and just said "good luck" (bangs head on desk)

tinygoose Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 6:03am
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakeco

Heheh

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%