Faux Wedding Cake Pricing

Business By dolcebaci Updated 26 Jul 2009 , 3:04am by erinalicia

dolcebaci Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 2:26am
post #1 of 46

I am just wondering how everyone else prices faux wedding cakes. I have a request for an 8 tier faux wedding cake. With piping and gumpaste roses on each tier.

This bride has asked for the cake to be at least 6 feet all (I know bridezilla)

Just wondering how others price...

Dolce...Toronto

45 replies
dsilvest Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 2:37am
post #2 of 46

My price for a 2 tier cake rental is $50. Every tier after that is another $50. If the cake is a custom order like yours then there is at least another $100 on top of the price. So if I was renting this cake to your customer the price would be at least $450. If you can rent the cake out after this wedding then you might charge at least $350. I guess if I were making this to reach 6 feet I would have to use two 4" styrofoam tiers per level So at least $900 for the first rental and $750 after that.

Buy your styrofoam at McCalls or Golda's Kitchen. Their prices are almost the same.

bobwonderbuns Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 2:38am
post #3 of 46

I charge exactly the same as I do for real cake. It costs me just as much in materials, just as much time and effort to decorate -- why should they get a break and I don't??

aligotmatt Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 2:39am
post #4 of 46

I charge 80% of what the full price would be.

__Jamie__ Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 2:40am
post #5 of 46

For something like that? Would cost wayyyyy more than a standard real cake. The GP flowers and piping AND the fact that we are talking an enormous height...probably talking 2 grand at least. That is a massive amount of work.

How many tiers would it take to get to 6 feet? Separated, not as many, but stacked?? Holy shikes!

I wonder if 2 grand is even enough. I'm not quick enough to figure how much real cake that would be. A lot though. A LOT.

dolcebaci Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 2:41am
post #6 of 46

Thanks for the feedback, I figured as much the cost of a real cake or at least 80%.

Thanks again everyone!

__Jamie__ Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 2:41am
post #7 of 46

Oh 8 tiers. Only 8 tiers to get 6 feet?

Classycakes Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 2:42am
post #8 of 46

I charge the same for custom faux cakes as I do for real. There is very little price difference in the 4" styrofoam forms and (for example) vanilla cake. Whether I'm decorating a piece of styrofoam or a real cake, I'm still using the same amount of icing/fondant and, most importantly, the labour is still the same. Brides get a lot of mis-information and they think they'll get a bargain is they go with faux cake. Plus, if I can only take a certain number of bookings each week, why would I take a beating on a discounted cake?

aligotmatt Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 2:48am
post #9 of 46

I use to charge the same, but it really is cheaper to buy the dummies than to bake the cake, depending on where you buy them of course. But the saved baking time, and buttercream making time (assuming it's covered in fondant) surely saves money too.

The place I order from taylor foam . com (no spaces) has 12" rounds for $4.95. I can't bake and make a 4" high, 4 layers of cake with 3 layers of filling cake for $4.95... The cost savings, plus my time and effort savings, plus the fact that I can cover the cake in fondant in advance... all makes it worth charging a bit less in my opinion...

__Jamie__ Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 2:48am
post #10 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsilvest

My price for a 2 tier cake rental is $50. Every tier after that is another $50. If the cake is a custom order like yours then there is at least another $100 on top of the price. So if I was renting this cake to your customer the price would be at least $450. If you can rent the cake out after this wedding then you might charge at least $350.

Buy your styrofoam at McCalls or Golda's Kitchen. Their prices are almost the same.

I was checking out your site, and after seeing a post you made about what some of us charge "wowing you", I have to ask. Do you strictly work with faux cakes? Or are you aware of the work that goes into a "start to finish" real cake? Not starting anything, not trying to insult you if indeed you do know these things, it's just curious to me to see someone who seems to deal strictly with fake cakes, it's a strange concept to me.

LaBellaFlor Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 2:57am
post #11 of 46

Man that cake is gonna be CRAZY BIG!. Custom faux cake for me, 75% of a regular priced cake. Most the cost of cakes is the labor, which is in the decorating, just like most the cost of a car repair tends to be labor. Now the next question I would have (thats assuming this is what the bride is doing) is where is she getting the sheet cakes from to serve? Is she getting the sheet cakes from you or is she getting them from Wal-Mart? Are you okay with her saying you did the cake, but then she serves everyone Wal-Mart sheet cakes & everyone thinks that what your cakes taste like? Does she want you to do single layer sheet cakes or a torted/double filled sheet cake that would still be a basic $3.00 a servings? And if that is the case,a faux with sheet cakes tend to come out a lot more expensive for the bride, which I don't think they know that. (CURSE wedding magazines for saying thats a CHEAPER option!!!) Now, you can always make the faux cake, keep it for future use, and rent it to her. That would be a cheaper option for her. BUT I STRONGLY suggest a cash/money order ONLY security deposit for the full value of the cake, cause you don't know whats gonna happen to that cake once it leaves your site...but I gurantee if they leave a security deposit for full value, they'll be a lot more careful. Oo, sorry so wordy. I guess I just been reading about a lot non-paying brides lately. icon_wink.gif

dolcebaci Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 3:06am
post #12 of 46

She is having a fruit cake , all she wants from me is the wedding cake for the "WOW" factor and a grooms cake (real)

angienfred820 Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 3:43am
post #13 of 46

newbie here....

what is a faux cake and what do people do with them?

angienfred820 Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 3:43am
post #14 of 46

newbie here....

angienfred820 Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 3:44am
post #15 of 46

newbie here....

dsilvest Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 3:50am
post #16 of 46

A faux cake uses styrofoam instead of cake as it base. It is then covered with icing or fondant and decorated just like a "real" cake.

angienfred820 Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 4:00am
post #17 of 46

so is it used jus a decoration?

LaBellaFlor Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 4:10am
post #18 of 46

Yeah, but with a real cake you have to make the cake mix & do a lot of baking. It also has to be leveled, torted, & filled. You also have to put proper support in a cake, then decorate. So, I don't think decorating a "faux" cake is the exact same thing as decorating a "real" cake.

bobwonderbuns Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 3:33pm
post #19 of 46

If you look in my pix, the Towering Inferno cake I did -- the top and bottom layers are faux cakes -- styrofoam dummies to add height.

sweet_teeth Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 3:47pm
post #20 of 46

I don't understand how the 6ft cake is supposed to be only 8 tiers.. as those tiers are going to have to be 9inches each.. and a typical dummy is 4inches even though some come in 5 inches. Plus, 9inch tiers would just look weird.

I'm assuming there will be a lot of separators.. ?

Dummy pricing for me is the same. The lower cost the dummy compared to me baking a cake is practically insignificant.. specially if you add in shipping costs and storage costs for those bulky things. My pricing is based off of the time it takes me to decorate. Baking is the easy part.

bobwonderbuns Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 4:07pm
post #21 of 46

The Towering Inferno cake I did was supposed to be six feet tall (for free no less!) icon_confused.gif and feed 300 people. I told her 6 feet tall worth of cake will feed roughly 2000-3000 people, not 300. icon_confused.gif Eventually we settled on a 16 inch dummy on an 18 inch plateau, 14, 12, 10 and 8 real cakes, 6 inch styrofoam top "anniversary" tier (to be used because they had a fresh flower topper flown in from Bogota and I wouldn't allow that to touch a cake that people would eat -- God only knows what they sprayed on it.) That whole cake was put on top of a 3 foot banquet hall table and I have pix of me next to it -- I'm 5'4" and it was taller than me. However, in the banquet hall she chose she really wanted what would amount to a 15 foot cake because even though this was a large cake, the room was so big that it made the cake look not as big as it was. (And yes, I still have nightmares over dealing with momzilla!) icon_surprised.gif

indydebi Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 4:25pm
post #22 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexandrabill

I don't understand how the 6ft cake is supposed to be only 8 tiers.. as those tiers are going to have to be 9inches each.. and a typical dummy is 4inches even though some come in 5 inches. Plus, 9inch tiers would just look weird.

a 4" cake plus 5" pillars between the tiers. This one is in my shop right now ... I just walked over and measured it. The (dummy) cakes are 4" and the pillars are 5": http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1195241 This cake serves 308.

Here's the same cake on a stand of glass blocks to give it added height for the "WOW!" factor: http:[email protected]/2794711926/in/set-72157619094515892/

"Back in the day...." when pillared cakes were all the rage (before these squatty little stacked cakes came back into vogue icon_rolleyes.gif ), 4" cakes with 5" pillars was pretty much the norm.

Ahh.... the benefits of being old and being able to "remember when...."! icon_biggrin.gif

PinkZiab Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 6:03pm
post #23 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolcebaci

I gotta ask: Why does her wanting the cake to be 6-feet tall automatically brand her a Bridezilla? lol

aligotmatt Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 6:27pm
post #24 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkZiab

Quote:

I gotta ask: Why does her wanting the cake to be 6-feet tall automatically brand her a Bridezilla? lol

kinda wondering that here too... Now if she said, "I want my cake to be 6 feet tall and I will measure it, and if it's an inch short I will sue you for ruining my dream wedding"...

This girl came to me a couple weeks go, 60 person reception but just really wanted a 6 tier cake, so I said, "would you like that to have actual cake or dummy layers" we discussed the price of both, and she will be having a way too big cake for the size... She's just looking to have her dream wedding, and I'm totally willing to help her do that icon_smile.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 6:35pm
post #25 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkZiab

Quote:

In my case it was a matter of "you don't understand, I want a 6 foot wedding cake and I don't want to pay for it." icon_eek.gificon_confused.giftapedshut.gifthumbsdown.gif Of course, sitting in the oversized kitchen of her 10,000 square foot mansion I wasn't buying it! icon_lol.gif

dolcebaci Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 7:01pm
post #26 of 46

The reason why I call this girl a bridzilla is she has changed the style (over all finish that is) every week. This was her finial choice (well at least for this week)
However she wants gumpaste roses on each tier, and I would have to use two dummies per tier. The largest tier would be a 22 inch smallest 4"

She is looking to use chocolate /orange & Pink fondant. I would have to hand pipe their intials on each tier.
LL

bobwonderbuns Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 7:07pm
post #27 of 46

That's why I put in the contract: After such and such date NO changes may be made in the design. icon_twisted.gif

lorijom Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 7:22pm
post #28 of 46

I think the mis-information about faux cake being cheaper may be more wide spread than just brides. I had a referral from a caterer this week and he passed on the information that the bride wanted a three tier cake with 2 dummy tiers and would be serving kitchen cakes (not from me...so I'm guessing Costco). I had to give him the bad news that I don't discount price for faux cakes and I have a clause in my contract stating no other cakes may be served at the event. So the caterer is now educated and needless to say I didn't hear from that bride...oh well icon_rolleyes.gif

dolcebaci Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 7:24pm
post #29 of 46

Good for you Lori...BRAVO....for not allowing other cakes at the receiption

__Jamie__ Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 8:19pm
post #30 of 46

Oh for the love of all that is right and beautiful in this world...don't let this happen! LOLOLOLOLOL!

http://cakewrecks.blogspot.com/2008/12/wedding-wrecks.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%