Troubleshooting Fondant

Decorating By alysonjt Updated 28 Apr 2011 , 1:52am by Marianna46

alysonjt Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 2:14am
post #1 of 6

I just started getting into cake decorating last month and am having so much fun. I'm getting ready to attempt my first fondant cake (beehive). I made a couple bumble bees with fondant tonight just practicing and fooling around. I'm actually very pleased with how the bees turned out. I ran into a little trouble though. My fondant of course wanted to stick to the counter so I put powdered sugar down. The powdered sugar was only moderately helpful and it made my black colored fondant "dusty". What do I need to put down under the fondant when rolling it out and working with it to keep it from sticking?

Thanks in advance!

5 replies
katwomen1up Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 2:31am
post #2 of 6

I use powdered sugar also. If the fondant is real sticky you'll need to use more. I use cocoa powder with the PS if I'm using it on black or chocolate. Some people also use corn starch. You will have to wipe it off real good if you use anything white on it. HTH

TexasSugar Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 2:38am
post #3 of 6

I roll my fondant out on a mat that I coated with crisco.

Rylan Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 2:38am
post #4 of 6

You can also use shortening to prevent things from sticking.

If you have powder on dark colored fondant, just rub shortening and wipe with a paper towel.

aseevers3 Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 1:48am
post #5 of 6

when i rolled my fondant it came ou kinda spongy. you could see air holes? what could this be?

Marianna46 Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 1:52am
post #6 of 6

I keep my fondant from sticking by working a little shortening into it. The consistency changes just enough to keep it from sticking a lot. You still need powdered sugar under it, but not as much. I do this for figures and for rolled fondant, as well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%