Cupcakes For A Grown Man's Birthday

Decorating By jonahsmom Updated 18 Jul 2009 , 11:58pm by 2SchnauzerLady

jonahsmom Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 1:31am
post #1 of 8

I used to work at a nursing home and I'm going to start doing individual cupcakes for the residents on their birthdays. I want to make up some mmf decorations ahead of time so that all I have to do is put on a swirl, some sparkly sugar and a decoration. I'm planning on little ribbon roses for the ladies but I cannot for the life of me figure out what to do for the guys! My brain is telling me that they'll probably like the little roses, too, but I'm just not sure. I'm going to package them in white takeout containers with the shredded paper stuff at the bottom and a ribbon. So it'll look like a little package just for them.

Any opinions on decorations?

7 replies
Rylan Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 1:39am
post #2 of 8

I used to work at a nursing home too. I'd watch out for hard fondant decorations because they might choke in to it/damage their throat--especially people with dimentia, sometimes they just eat what they think is edible.

TexasSugar Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 1:42am
post #3 of 8

What about a little bow in a masculine color? That would make the cupcake a little present. icon_smile.gif

jonahsmom Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 1:53am
post #4 of 8

RylanTy - That's why I was going to do fondant instead of a hard plastic pick type in the cupcake. I thought if I made the little roses and stuff ahead of time and kept them in a sealed container that would keep them softer. Plus when they get put on the buttercream, it's going to soften them up even more. Truthfully, I'm not really concerned about that because anyone who is not on a regular diet is monitored very closely. Even those that are on a regular diet are monitored at mealtimes. That's when they get their birthday treat (which used to be a little debbie with a candle in it).

Texas Sugar - I do like the little bow idea. Actually, I could do that for the ladies, too. Then fondant wouldn't be all wrapped up like on the rose. There'd be less fondant with the bow I imagine. And it would still be pretty. I could even brush the bows with some dust. Make 'em sparkly!

jonahsmom Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 11:43pm
post #5 of 8

Okay, so I have it in my head how I'm going to do these. I'll alternate between butterflies, daisies, etc and snowmen and snowflakes for winter. I'm really excited about these!!!!!

I had a heck of a time figuring out how to package them so they'd be pretty AND inexpensive! I remember reading in one of the posts about turning a cup upside-down on the I came up with this!

Texas_Rose Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 11:48pm
post #6 of 8

If you want an easy way to do a snowflake, get a scrapbook punch. I've got a Martha Stewart snowflake and it cuts a nice, complicated shape out of MMF.

jonahsmom Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 11:52pm
post #7 of 8

Grrr...the picture didn't post.

Here's the link to it in my gallery

Thanks for the tip about the snowflakes. I was wondering if that would work!!!! Now I'll have to look for all kinds of 'em!

2SchnauzerLady Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 11:58pm
post #8 of 8

The birthday treats remind me of my grandmother's 100th birthday celebration in assisted living - all the residents started shuffling and wheeling into the room to get that cake! They just loved that someone thought enough of them to bring a cake to share! thank you for doing that!

Quote by @%username% on %date%