Smbc Failure

Decorating By fruitsnack Updated 17 Jul 2009 , 6:48pm by fruitsnack

fruitsnack Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 1:15am
post #1 of 10

Don't know what I did wrong. I made it, and it tasted lovely. I couldn't get it to smooth on the cake, though, for the life of me. I usually use the roller method and obviously couldn't use that - I didn't even get close without it. Plus, after I let it sit for a while, it started to crack around the edges. No fun. So . . . we're having cake tonight and I happen to have some more in the freezer that I'm going to frost with my old faithful, Indydebi's buttercream. Maybe I'll try it again . . . if I can get some advice on what went wrong.

9 replies
timhenk Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 1:26am
post #2 of 10

Not sure what you mean by the roller method.

I use SMBC almost exclusively. After I've got cake iced, i use an offset spatula or large putty/drywall knife to smooth it out. While you're icing your cake, have your spatula sitting in a bowl of very hot water. Dry it quickly then use it to smooth the SMBC. The residual heat warms the butter just enough to smooth it beautifully. I have several spatulas in the hot water and keep rotating them.

SMBC should never crack, I can't help you with that. What recipe did you use???

fruitsnack Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 10:59am
post #3 of 10

I used the Well Dressed Cake recipe from here.

I thought about using the warm water / spatula method, but I read somewhere that it caused the color to separate from the icing. Maybe I'll try that next time.

-K8memphis Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 1:18pm
post #4 of 10

The only time my smbc cracked was when I froze the whole iced cake--so once it all thaws it just gets all back together but the marks remain on there kinda.

Oh or on a board that flexes--that will crack cold smbc.

You have to be able to handle the icing spatula and I use a dough cutter (that has a nice flat blade taller than the side of the tier) to smooth it by hand-- as you discovered it's just a little learning curve. They can come out looking a little more 'handmade'. They look more like cake rather than perfectly formed shapes. But I mean you can still get them smooth.

__Jamie__ Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 1:29pm
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitsnack

I used the Well Dressed Cake recipe from here.

I thought about using the warm water / spatula method, but I read somewhere that it caused the color to separate from the icing. Maybe I'll try that next time.

I use that too. Shouldn't be any cracking. And what did you use to color with? Candy colors, something oil based is what you need to use.

Get a handle-less bench scraper for your smoothing, and use that hot water trick....very helpful!

fruitsnack Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 2:01pm
post #6 of 10

I used the regular Wilton cake colors.

Would the cracking be caused by icing a frozen cake? The cake was out of the freezer - which is how I do it when I use Indydebi's recipe - could thta have caused it to crack?

I will keep trying it - this is the only icing recipe my husband (who doesn't even like sweets) said he would eat with a spoon. icon_smile.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 2:10pm
post #7 of 10

No, can't do that on a frozen cake. Room temp or only slightly cool cake.

-K8memphis Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 2:50pm
post #8 of 10

Y'know--I ice frozen cake all the time with room temperature smbc--but I mean depending on all the other variables like the weather & stuff that could be why it cracked but more than likely it was a flex in the cake board.

Since it's in the process of thawing I've never had a problem at that point--but once iced it goes back in the frige to further defrost.

Y'know the devil is in the details with all this stuff--no telling exactly.

What kind of board did you have it on?

__Jamie__ Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 4:02pm
post #9 of 10

Yeah...a flexible board will do it. Details, for sure.

fruitsnack Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 6:48pm
post #10 of 10

I had it on a quadruple layer of cardboard, taped together, covered with paper and wrap. After I placed the cake on, I didn't move it at all, so I don't know when the board would have moved. So frustrating!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%