Petal Dust

Decorating By saberger Updated 18 Jul 2009 , 1:17pm by Win

saberger Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 12:32am
post #1 of 14

I need to buy several different colors of petal dust. Where should I go online for good $ and where should I stay away from? I have heard of sunflower sugar art & crystal colors.

TIA

13 replies
sadsmile Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 12:47am
post #2 of 14

I honestly don't think you will find cheeper then Lusterdust.com or fondantsource .com from Jester's party in orlando. Super nice and they will ship next day. Use cakecentral as a coupon code for and EXTRA 10% off your whole order! Happy shopping.

saberger Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 12:53am
post #3 of 14

I cam across lusterdust.com......are the colors any good? Or is it worth spending more for Sunflower?

saberger Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 1:01am
post #4 of 14

I tried cakecentral as a coupon code at lusterdust.com but it didn't work. icon_sad.gif

Win Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 1:11am
post #5 of 14

I love the service at GSA so I don't shop around for best price, I must admit. I'm frugal in so many other areas of caking, but this is an area I don't skimp in. I use Crystal Colors and Sunflower Sugar Art. They both go a long way, with Crysta Colors having a slight edge in superiority.

Rylan Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 1:34am
post #6 of 14

I love Crystal Colors. It's the only thing I'd use.

sadsmile Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 1:58pm
post #7 of 14

it's the same stuff just different lables. And if the cakecentral did apply then call them and they will discount your order. They are really great people!!! Just call them. FYI I don't think when I ordered it instantly came out but when the charge hit my account and the order arrived at my door the dicount was applied.

Win Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 7:58pm
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadsmile

it's the same stuff just different lables.

So... that statement confuses me. (I'm not trying to be contrary, just wanting proof behind your statement.) Global Sugar Art sells Crystal Colors, Sunflower Sugar Art, CK dusts and the ones they label as GSA (that I know of...) I've tried all of them and find that the CK and GSA are the least "user friendly" meaning it takes more to get the effect I need, and I end up using more for a project than I would in a comparable jar of Sunflower Sugar Art or Crystal Colors.

Lusterdust.com seems to sell CSA and Sunflower Sugar Art... are you saying CSA the same product as either GSA, CK or Crystal Colors only sold under a different label? I just can't imagine that Crystal Colors would go as cheaply as 1.99...
icon_eek.gif

sadsmile Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 9:49pm
post #9 of 14

Call them and ask them who manufactures the petal dust they sell to find out. I am under the immpression it is the same but maybe i took what I heard wrong. I'd like to know for sure also.

Win Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 12:24am
post #10 of 14

Sadsmile, thanks for that suggestion. Instead of calling, I actually emailed. He was so nice and replied so quickly! Here was the answer to my question as to who manufactures the dusts they sell:

Quote:
Quote:

There is a company that is the main supplier of these dusts. We used to buy them from CK Products but now buy them direct and have them packaged under our own label. I know the company I buy from also packages them for Sweet Inspirations and Bakels. I believe they also pack them for GSA but I have never heard of Crystal Colors.

If you are interested in buying in bulk we may be able to help you with that.

Thanks
Brian Piekos

It helps a lot to narrow down choices as I sure would buy my dusts from them if I'm using CK or Bakels, etc. as they are so much cheaper. Great if you are fairly new to dusts. However, I think after you've tried Crystal Colors, it's really hard to go back! They go such a long way and are sooo smooth when working with them. I'd LOVE to find a cheaper source for them!

Rylan Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 3:40am
post #11 of 14

Me too, Win. I'd love to find a cheaper source for them.

saberger Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 12:51pm
post #12 of 14

When looking around for Crystal Colors, it seemed that they are $5 everywhere. Is that right? Has anyone found anything cheaper than that?

Win Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 1:14pm
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by saberger

When looking around for Crystal Colors, it seemed that they are $5 everywhere. Is that right? Has anyone found anything cheaper than that?

Nope. I've never seen them less than that. However, that one pot goes a very long time! I have a moss green that I use for leaves and it still only half used and that is with multiple projects. Seriously, just the tip of a brush and it covers an entire leaf. My first pot of Moss Green was a CK and I used it up on one project. If I could describe the difference it would be that the others seem dry -almost chalky vs. Crystal Colors seemingly talc-like. Smooth and silky and far less dust in the work area.

Win Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 1:17pm
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by saberger

Nope. I've never seen them less than that. However, that one pot goes a very long time! I have a moss green that I use for leaves and it still only half used and that is with multiple projects. Seriously, just the tip of a brush and it covers an entire leaf. My first pot of Moss Green was a CK and I used it up on one project. If I could describe the difference it would be that the others seem dry -almost chalky vs. Crystal Colors seemingly talc-like. Smooth and silky and far less dust in the work area.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%