Fondant Class

Decorating By yazzie82 Updated 17 Jul 2009 , 12:28pm by Kay_NL

yazzie82 Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 11:38pm
post #1 of 13

I'm taking the wilton fondant class right now and my teacher is recommending that we buy the fondant in the box made by wilton for the class because she says we are practicing with it. But I'm thinking if I'm going to eat this cake that I'm going to make I would rather try to make the MMF because I hear that the wilton fondant is nasty. I want to take home something edible. What do you all think should I listen to her and buy the wilton fondant in the box or make my own MMF?

12 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 11:46pm
post #2 of 13

I think for your first fondant experience, buying the stuff in the box (as long as you have a coupon) might be good, because then you can see what the consistency should be and you'll know if you get it right when you make your own.

That being said, I have never bought fondant, always made marshmallow fondant, and it has always worked well for me.

Rylan Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 11:59pm
post #3 of 13

I agree with Texas_Rose, I'd listen to her. If you have perfected MMF then go ahead and use it.

Barb00 Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 12:00am
post #4 of 13

I bought the Wilton fondant for my first fondant cake and after tasting it I told everyone I served it to "just pick it off"! I personally did not like the taste or texture - reminded me of maybe eating silly putty. After that I have made my own MFF. Sometimes perfect, sometimes not, but II think it is all personal preference anyway.

Malakin Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 12:10am
post #5 of 13

Well, I have a Wilton instructor as a friend, she was honest, told us that Wilton wants them to push their products. So, I went ahead and made my own, (with a little practice), and I was so proud of myself. It was cheaper, worked just as good, and tasted a heck of a lot better! Be Brave!

Pat7413 Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 12:13am
post #6 of 13

I used the Wilton fondant for a cake for my Wilton III course and it tasted bad. My husband asked me to never put it on a cake again. I told everyone to go ahead and peel it off. It was easy to work with- but I won't use it again on anything that someone is expected to eat.

Musings9 Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 12:14am
post #7 of 13

Try the Wilton first, just so that you'll be familiar with the consistency and taste. You never know, you might like it...I doubt it but, you never know. You could always make a batch of the MMF to bring to class and compare.
When it's time for the taste test and everyone else spits out their Wilton's, don't be suprised when everyone is flocking to your table for MMF.

Pat7413 Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 12:18am
post #8 of 13

I used the Wilton fondant for a cake for my Wilton III course and it tasted bad. My husband asked me to never put it on a cake again. I told everyone to go ahead and peel it off. It was easy to work with- but I won't use it again on anything that someone is expected to eat.

TexasSugar Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 1:32am
post #9 of 13

Of course Wilton wants you to buy their products, that is after all the purpose of the craft stores offering their classes.

I love when people say Wilton's fondant tastes bad, but admit they have never tasted it. Me personally, I think it is just sweet with out much flavor. My SIL loves the stuff straight out of the box. And my family doesn't eat fondant (any kind) because of the texture. We just don't like chewy icing.

As a WMI I always suggest that my students buy the Wilton fondant. I believe that is a great texture to learn with. It preforms well, so you are less likely having trouble with it. If you make fondant but have never handled it, you really don't know what the consistency is suppose to be. I have worked with premade fondant for years and have made my own and still have trouble now and then when making it to get that perfect consistency.

I'd say save yourself a headache and buy the fondant for this cake. It will not make your cake inedible, and you can always flavor it with candy oils if you want extra flavor in it.

yazzie82 Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 3:39am
post #10 of 13

Thank you all for your opinions thumbs_up.gif . I think i'll just buy the boxed fondant for class purposes and then on my own time just make the mmf and mess around with it.

TexasSugar Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 3:47am
post #11 of 13

Hope you have fun in the class and working with fondant.

Lee15 Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 12:00pm
post #12 of 13

I agree with TexasSugar. I am also a WMI and always tell students to buy the Wilton box to start since it is easier to learn with. The consistency is good and stands up to a bit more handling (don't think that's the word I'm looking for) from beginners than other brands (but taste horrible). I also make them taste it because you cannot criticize the fondant unless you know what it actually tastes like. I let them know that they can add flavor, make their own or buy other brands.

Kay_NL Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 12:28pm
post #13 of 13

I bought the Wilton fondant for the classes and, like others, my entire family peeled it off and then ate the cake + butter cream that remained! I really found the classes were an opportunity to try out new butter cream and cake recipes, but since fondant was completely new territory for me I didn't want to take the risk!

I make Michelle Foster's Fondant now, I usually make 3-4 batches in an evening when my stock is running low. It is not pure white but I haven't needed pure white, you can use white coloring to get white and for a truer ivory I use regular vanilla rather than clear. icon_smile.gif I don't think you will ever get the exact consistency of Wilton. The Wilton stuff stretches just like silly putty, probably due to the awful tasting something they put in it, LOL! You will know if your batch will work or not when you start kneading it!!

I still use Wilton for all my characters, flowers, etc. I don't want to use my home made fondant on something that people may not even eat!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%