Doll Cake - First Attempt - Help!!!

Decorating By nicholelpinet Updated 20 Jul 2009 , 9:34am by dsilvest

nicholelpinet Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 11:32pm
post #1 of 5

My daughter is turning 3 and wants a doll cake...I've always made our cakes so it has to be awesome...better than last years...anyway...i've found a couple pictures that i've fallen in love with...the only problem...i've never worked with fondant...other than decorations...I'm really wanting to use it cuz they look so cool!! I'm just very nervous that it won't turn out very good...I've found some recipes for buttercream it worth the effort?? i also looked at the MMF recipes. Not sure which to use...a few questions..
1. how do i get the pearlized look?
2. How much buttercream icing do i put under the fondant?
3. How do i make the fondant look ruffled? what do i put under it to give it the wavy look, or will i just form the fondant like that?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! TIA

4 replies
DianeLM Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 12:56am
post #2 of 5

I purchase my fondant, so I can't advise you with regards to recipes. However, I've never heard of buttercream fondant. Are you sure you read that right?

Whatever you do, DO NOT use Wilton fondant. It tastes terrible! It's great for decorations that won't be eaten, tho.

You can practice on the outside of your bowl or cake tin - whatever you're planning to bake the doll cake in. If you're planning to carve the dress shape, you'll have to come up with your own practice model. icon_smile.gif

1. Pearlized look is achieved by brushing dry pearl dust onto your fondant. I think Wilton makes a pearl dust you can get at the local craft store.

2. You'll want to put a fairly thin coat of buttercream under your fondant, otherwise you'll get lumps and bumps while smoothing your fondant. Once you get more experience, you can put on a thicker coat of buttercream.

3. There are a couple of ways to make your fondant look ruffled. Roll out your fondant to the size you want for the skirt. Working at the bottom of the skirt, place a toothpick or something similar perpendicular to the edge of the fondant, so the toothpick is half on and half off. Now, gently roll the toothpick back and forth just an inch or two. You'll notice the fondant thins out and starts to look ruffled. Move the toothpick to the next area and repeat until the bottom is all ruffled.

Another way, which may be easier. You'll need a bunch of decorating tips. Drape your fondant over the cake, then carefully lift the bottom and push a decorating tip, point side first under the dress. Leave part of the tip sticking out the bottom. Keep going around until you've inserted tips all the way around. Let the fondant dry for a few hours, then remove the tips.

For the wavy look, roll a few sausages of fondant in various thicknessness and apply them vertically to the cake before you lay the fondant down. Smooth the fondant over the cake and sausages for a wavy, billowy effect.

Good luck!

brincess_b Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 9:13am
post #3 of 5

just to add that if you can buy another brand of pearl dust, do, wilton results tend not to be as good. fine, but just not as impressive.

dsilvest Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 9:31am
post #4 of 5

Don't use the buttercream fondant. It will probably tear on such a large surface. It is better for small items like cookies or cupcakes.

The marshmallow fondant is easier to use and stretches more.

Or you can try this recipe for Michele Foster's Fondant

dsilvest Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 9:34am
post #5 of 5

Here are the Wilton instructions for a doll cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%