Sculpted 3D Dinosaur Cake

Decorating By luts88 Updated 27 Aug 2009 , 8:31pm by kylieana

luts88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luts88 Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 10:32pm
post #1 of 6

So I haven't been making cakes for too long but I've been dying to make a 3D cake. My daughter, who is only 2 1/2, has also become obsessed with cakes and has now since told me that she wants a land before time cake for her birthday in december. I figure I want to go all out for her birthday with probably 3 3d sculpted characters. I want to start practicing now. I have made a wooden support for the little foot cake, he's a long neck dinosaur.. I am going to do the legs and neck out of RKT. The head i think i will use Styrofoam. The body will be made of cakes. I am sort of following what the cake boss did for his mammal museum cake. I want the underbelly to be a little rounded so i figure i'll use rkt, but that's where I become stumped. how would i attach the rkt to the underside of the wooden support? How does it stick there? Any ideas?

5 replies
luts88 Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 10:36pm
post #2 of 6

I forgot to mention mine obviously won't be that big, just a smaller scale version tweaking it to make it a long neck.

ncox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ncox Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 11:28pm
post #3 of 6

Buddy used plastic zip ties to keep the under belly of his dino attached. I can't really think of anything else to use to keep it attached.

AnythingBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnythingBaked Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 5:08am
post #4 of 6

If you want some information about a dinosaur cake from Fondant you should go to my friends web-site and see her T-Rex that she did in December 2008. You can send her a message and ask her some questions.

Go to her blog. http://www.wanghwa.blogspot.com/ and check out her tasty cakes icon_wink.gif.

luts88 Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 12:44pm
post #5 of 6

wow thanks...she is really amazing in the kitchen

kylieana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kylieana Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 8:31pm
post #6 of 6

I just finished a 3D Triceratops yesterday,(see pic) and I can tell you from my experience the RTK on the underbelly was the biggest trouble for me, Buddy on Cake Boss used buttercream icing, but didnt mention that he had used twisty ties, i didnt know that until i saw a previous post on your thread from someone else..explains alot!!,
Whatever you do dont attempt to use Just Buttercream and fondant to secure it, didnt work for me, i ended up kinda botching the underbelly because of it, the ties and or string would work a treat., then fondant over the top

I was going to make a Bracheosaurus but chicked out at the long neck, so make sure you post a photo id love to see it for the next time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%