White Cake From Scratch?

Baking By akgirl10 Updated 17 Jul 2009 , 12:46am by __Jamie__

akgirl10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akgirl10 Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 10:28pm
post #1 of 5

Anyone care to share their favorite white cake recipe? It's not something I bake often, but my friend's birthday request was whte cake (what, no chocolate? Horrors!) I'd like to bake a scratch cake, as I find box white mixes to be kind of gummy. Thanks!

4 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 11:06pm
post #2 of 5

Hmmm, you can't bake a good white cake mix and you think you can make a cake from scratch?

I use Sylvia Weinstock's yellow cake recipe--you can google it.

I use an extra quarter cup of flour.

I delete two egg yolks

I add the eggs one at a time to the creamed butter & sugar
(I don't whip the whltes & yolks separate like the recipe states)

Everything else is the same as Sylvia's.

I know it's a yellow cake recipe but it comes out white when you delete those two egg yolks.

fantastic cake

work on that cake mix thing icon_biggrin.gif you can do it

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 11:25pm
post #3 of 5

Keep your butter pretty cold--if you have a Kitchen Aid planetary type heavy duty mixer the mixer will do the work for you--if you have a hand held mixmaster type mixer then let it get a little soft.

Watch your batter--make sure the butter & sugar get creamed really really well--add your eggs one at a time and beat well in between--then beat it really well until it is all fluffy and light and well emulsed--so it is emusified and all smooth.

If your mixture looks broken and not all smoothie smooth smooth--chill it--then rebeat and it should be better--has to be smooth here.

For the next part the directions are:
*mix it up on slow until that ingredient or mixture of ingredients is/are incorporated then go on and add the next, so it's:

add a third of the powdered ingredients ~~ mix it like above, slow etc.*
add half the sour cream ~~ mix it like above*
add one third of the powdered ingredients ~~ mix it like above*
add the rest of the sour cream~~ mix it like above*
add the rest of the powdered ingredients ~~ mix it like above*

Somewhere along the line add the vanilla.

Now beat it for 2 minutes like on speed 5 or 6 of a Kitchen Aid mixer.

viola

try not to eat too much batter icon_biggrin.gif

akgirl10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akgirl10 Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 11:57pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks for the tips. Let me clarify-I CAN indeed make a cake mix, I just don't really care for white mixes. The edges tend to get gummy after they've been baked, I like a drier texture I guess. Not as squishy.

I'm baking up a white cake recipe now that called for whipping the whites seperately. We'll see how it turns out.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 12:46am
post #5 of 5

Search out the buttermilk white cake recipe in here...it's to die for. Whites whipped separately, and make sure you cream that butter and sugar very well until very fluffy, practically doubled in volume, and not gritty. Not very gritty anyways.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%