Fruitcake With Rum Covered In Royal Icing

Baking By jmr531 Updated 17 Jul 2009 , 8:49am by brincess_b

jmr531 Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 10:19pm
post #1 of 8

Someone requested a fruitcake with rum from me. I've never done that before. Does anyone have any good recipes for that or any tips?

The person wants it covered with royal icing. Since royal icing gets hard, am I supposed to spread it really thin?

7 replies
brincess_b Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 10:53pm
post #2 of 8

no recipes handy, bt have a look on the uk sites. probably will have a couple to choose from.
usually you will plug any holes with marzipan, and cover with marzipan so its nice and smooth, which makes the royal easier to smooth.
i have never had to work it to a rely smooth finish, working with a spatula was fine for me. but i believe, if you want to be fancy, you can pour a layer, let it set, sand it, then repeat til perfect.
i guess the customer has said they want it smooth finish, rather than anything rustic and bumpy? thats easier to do, lol!
as for it setting really hard, you can use glycerine i think which helps it to not be so hard.

bakery_chick Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 11:06pm
post #3 of 8

The best fruit cake is Alton Brown's! Love it, love it, love it!!!

BakingGirl Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 11:42pm
post #4 of 8

Is your client British or Australian? Fruit cake is traditional there, as is royal icing to cover. Usually the cake will be first covered in marzipan before being covered in royal. It is apparently a very labour intensive job, lots of layers with smoothing and sanding in between layers - but the finish can be like porcelain. You could ask your client if fondant would be acceptable as a substitute, similar look but with a lot less work.

jmr531 Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 11:54pm
post #5 of 8

Thanks for the responses everyone. I would have never thought to cover the cake with marzipan. Whew! I'm glad I posted my questions.

I spoke to the client again briefly and she mentioned that she was looking for a British fruit cake covered in royal icing. I'll check out the sites you provided for recipes. As for the royal icing, how much glycerin should I add to keep it from getting too hard? Instead of pouring and sanding, I think I'll stick to just smoothing it with a spatula. How would one even sand royal icing?

jmr531 Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 1:29am
post #6 of 8

After researching this online, I realized that you need to soak the cake for several days. In fact, the recipes I have seen all call for soaking it for at least a couple weeks. The client wants the cake next Saturday, which is 8 days away. Is that enough time if I bake this Sunday? I would soak the cake Mon-Friday and decorate on Friday.

I'm kind of afraid since I have never made this cake before and I don't have enough time to make a test cake since it has to soak for a while.

BakingGirl Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 2:12am
post #7 of 8

I have always refused to do fruitcakes on short notice for this very reason. I don't want anything that I make to be eaten if it is not in it's best condition. So I would personally not give out an "unripe" fruitcake.

brincess_b Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 8:49am
post #8 of 8

you can either choose not to do it, or leave it up to the customer. tell her that to get the best flavour, the cake should have been made weeks in advance. so she can either choose a short notice fruit cake in which you can not guarentee your usual standards (it still tastes good, just not quite as good) or a sponge.

Quote by @%username% on %date%