Yikes...first Tiered Cake Is A Disaster!

Decorating By singinglark Updated 21 Jul 2009 , 8:31pm by indydebi

singinglark Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 9:19pm
post #1 of 15

So I am new to cake decorating. Learning by trial and error...and the internet. I made my first tiered cake for my sister-in-laws bridal shower. Learned several lessons:
1) Didn't know to use cake boards in between layers
2) Didn't know to support the cake
3) Didn't know it would be better to cover each layer versus covering the entire cake with one big piece of fondant...

So....the result of not knowing these things was this pitiful cake....lessons learned...
LL

14 replies
cdent Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 9:28pm
post #2 of 15

Well, yes you have some things to learn but I still think you're cake concept is adorable! I'd definitly still eat it icon_wink.gif

tanyascakes Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 9:28pm
post #3 of 15

You know, despite all of the support errors, I think it looks okay. Sure yo have a lot to learn. So do I, so does everybody. There is always something else to be learned in this business. The colors you chose worked very well together, IMHO. You do have a little pleat at the bottom tier. But for a first, you did okay. So don't be too hard on yourself! Take it on the chin and remeber for the next time!

Tanya

debster Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 9:30pm
post #4 of 15

Awwwwwww............. I'm amazed it looks as good as it does for all that , you could of really had a LOT worse happen. Now you know can't wait to see the next post. This really isn't bad considering. If I would of did all that I would of had one pile of pooh. At least yours survived!!!!!

UpAt2am Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 9:33pm
post #5 of 15

i agree with tanyascakes! colors are very good and work well together. the concept is great as well. and for covering all 3 tiers with one piece of fondant, you did great! cake circles and supports (i adore bubble tea straws) will be your best friend!!! good luck on the next one and know you can come to CC for help anytime!

Doug Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 9:33pm
post #6 of 15

1st -- you covered the WHOLE thing in just ONE sheet of fondant --- GASP -- you are UBER coordinated! that is a great accomplishment in and of itself.

2nd -- great colors

3rd -- so that bottom tier looks a bit overweight (who am I to talk!?) -- doubtful anyone else noticed.

4th - I'm betting your sis-in-law and the guests oohed and ahhed over it. and it tasted good too!

---

so....onwards.

lessons learned (no failure here!)
next will be even more "mahvalous"

sweetpea223 Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 9:37pm
post #7 of 15

Singinglark, the cake looks good despite the little pleat or crack on the bottom tier. First time or not, we always learn as we keep making cakes. I still do and even though I have used fondant before, I recently used Satin Ice and didn't know that this was much softer than regular fondant. Well of course, my covering of cakes was not perfect in my eyes but to others they didn't notice it. Of course pics are always deceiving...but as always, we are our own worst critics. We strive and aim for a certain look in our minds and the execution most of the time is not the same as we always think... thus the thought of a disaster cake. What matters most is the taste of your cake...it will overcome all disasters and people will remember it more than the mistakes we've made. Don't give up.

singinglark Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 3:10pm
post #8 of 15

Thanks for the comments. The ladies at the shower did love it but I was embarrased by it. It is hard when the design in your head does not look like you thought when it is done. My next disaster was my son's spiderman cake...how do I get the fondant to be stiffer so that the pieces don't stretch when I cut and pick them up? I rolled the fondant (Rolled buttercream recipe from this site), cut the shapes and then put them on a wax paper lined cookie sheet and refrigerated them for about 20 mins before putting them on the cake. I got the inspiration from someone on this site which is one of the pictures...and mine was so much worse.

I learned when I made Spidey's face that I made it too heavy so it slid down the cake and turned the white fondant red...lesson learned for next time.

Luckily...my son turned 3 and only cared that spiderman was on it! It tasted good though! Chocolate cake, white chocolate buttercream between the layers and for the crumb coating.
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL

singinglark Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 3:12pm
post #9 of 15

Sorry for the double post...this site takes forever to post and then sometimes posts my stuff two or three times.

BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 3:33pm
post #10 of 15

I cannot see your spider man pics but as for your question, if you want pieces of fondant if you let the rolled fondant set out for a few minutes then pick them up you will not have as much trouble with stretching. HTH.

cindy1176 Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 3:47pm
post #11 of 15

Let me encourage you to keep trying...we have all made mistakes with new techniques (ask me how I know, lol) My suggestion would be to move past these couple of bumps and look at tutorials...they are here on this website and all over the internet. You do good work and you will just get better (ask me how I know, lol)! Also, if you have not already done so, a course in cake decorating at a local craft store will give you lots of good tips and how to's. Keep decorating!

Ruth0209 Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 4:02pm
post #12 of 15

First, I am entirely impressed that you could get that three tier cake, a hexagon no less, covered in one big piece of fondant. WOW! I think it's a hard shape to cover no matter what. I think the cake turned out well. It's by no means a disaster.

Trust me, a lot of us don't end up with cakes that look like what we had in mind!! It's the nature of the beast.

I think your Spiderman cake is adorable! Sounds like your son loved it, too, which is all that matters in the end.

Just keep on learning and experimenting and working at it. Try lots of new techniques and if they're ugly, eat them really fast! You'll learn all kinds of things here on CC that will continuously improve your skills. Try not to be too hard on yourself. It's all supposed to be fun!

debster Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 6:27pm
post #13 of 15

Wow the spidey cake looks great also, I would use fondant and let it set up or use 50/50 fondant and gumpaste it dries harder than rolled buttercream , you see how RBC is softer keep trying you do GOOD work!!!! We all are learning by trial and error, keep coming here and there will be less errors because most of us have made the same mistakes first.

sweet-thing Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 7:48pm
post #14 of 15

I agree with the others. I just have to say that I am utterly amazed that you covered that whole cake in one piece of fondant! Wrinkle or not that is a great job! I can't wait to see what your cakes look like once you get these little things figured out. Don't give up!! You are ding great!

indydebi Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 8:31pm
post #15 of 15

what Doug said. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%