First Wedding Cake...need A Lot Of Advise.

Decorating By awhiteia Updated 17 Jul 2009 , 6:42pm by awhiteia

awhiteia Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 7:27pm
post #1 of 4

Help!! I was just asked to do a wedding cake for someone. It's my first attempt. She wants a 4 layer cake. To do the layers and not have the cake fall in on itself if I screw dowls on to a small wood board and then set the second layer on that and push the dowels through the bottom cake, repeating this for each layer work? I feel like I'm out of my league on this one. Plus she has no ideas on what she want for decorations on each layer othr that the 2nd layer she wants a ribbon. Any suggestions on what type of designs look best on a layer cake?

3 replies
JanH Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 8:23pm
post #2 of 4

Hi and Welcome on your 1st post, awhiteia. icon_smile.gif

Everything you need to know to make, assemble and decorate tiered, stacked/layer cakes:

Screwing your cake board/dowels together will make disassembling the cake for serving difficult.

There are illustrated cake support systems in the above thread that might work out better for you.

kakeladi Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 8:35pm
post #3 of 4

1st off let's get the 'terminology' right: a layer is one cake, usually 2" thick/deep. A tier is usually two 2" layers put one on top of the other with filling between them.
So are you saying you need to make 4 tiers. More important is how many people do they expect to serve? That will help you determine which sizes/shapes you need.
I take it you have never put one cake on top of another......
You can 'stack' the tiers or you can pillar them or combine the two.
So when we know how many servings are needed we can help you further from there.

awhiteia Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 6:42pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you Jan, I will check out the link. As I said this is my first attempt at a project this large so any helpful information that I can get from those that have more experience is great.

Quote by @%username% on %date%