Sugar Mold Question................

Decorating By abed Updated 17 Jul 2009 , 4:39pm by DianeLM

abed Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 4:43pm
post #1 of 6

I just made a sugar mold for a cake topper, but my question is how do you cover it with fondant or can it? Do you wet it, put royal icing then fondant? thanks.

5 replies
DianeLM Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 7:03pm
post #2 of 6

When you say sugar mold, do you mean you molded a mixture of sugar and water, like wet sand? Now you have a shape made of sugar?

Before continuing, we need to know exactly what you've got there. Because if it's really the kind of sugar mold I'm thinking it is, this is not a typical technique. Maybe we've just got our terms mixed up.

abed Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 12:39am
post #3 of 6

Yes, I mean the sugar mold like wet sand and put them into bowls to hold their shape. but how do I get fondant on it now?

DianeLM Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 2:00pm
post #4 of 6

I would brush the surface of the sugar with piping gel so the fondant has something to stick to.

This is a new technique to me. May I ask why you chose to mold sugar to be covered with fondant?

abed Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 3:52pm
post #5 of 6

I thought it would look a lot cleaner and I can put decorations on it. Thanks, I will give piping gel a try.

DianeLM Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 4:39pm
post #6 of 6

I see. When I've needed a smooth surface to cover, I've molded chocolate, then covered with fondant. I used piping gel for that too.

Can't wait to see what you're making!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%