Cake Disaster, Now I Am Scared To Cake...

Decorating By whisperingmadcow Updated 16 Jul 2009 , 9:37pm by JanH

whisperingmadcow Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 3:49pm
post #1 of 6

I had my very first cake disaster and now I am scared to do more cakes for other people.

I was asked to make two baby chicks for a baby shower for someone I don't know (a friend of a friend kind of thing). I make the cakes out of the ball pan and then attached marshmellows with toothpicks and made them look like chicks. It was totally cute.

Well, I made the cake on a friday, the shower was on a Saturday. I had the whole thing done, I put it in its box and went to bed Friday night. The next morning when I looked at the cake, everything was shmooshed. icon_eek.gif My cat had sat on the box at some point in the night. So I scrape all the frosting off, put the heads back in place and re-decorate the cake. It looked fine when I left the house.

So on the road, I am waiting at a stop light and turn to look at the cake and see that one of the heads has fallen off! icon_cry.gif I didn't bring extra frosting so there is no way I fix this. I get there, tell the lady how sorry I am and that I am not going to charge her and walk away in shame.

This was last weekend.

So yesterday I get a call from a friend who wants a cake for his family and I am honestly thinking about turning it down because I don't want that to happen again. thumbsdown.gif

Any Advise?

5 replies
hensor Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 3:53pm
post #2 of 6

Don't turn them down!!! Everyone has some sort of disaster at some point. Yours all started because of your cat, not because you did something wrong. They may just want a simple cake that will be no problem for you. Next time just remember to keep the cat away and to bring repair tools with you just in case. Keep your chin up...

unlimitedcake Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 4:06pm
post #3 of 6

You shouldn't give up, everyone has a cake that just has a mind of its own. I've been decorating Cakes for 5 yrs and about 3weeks ago I had this happen to me for the first time. When i left my house the cake was fine as I was in the middle of dropping the cake of the road got really bumpy tipical Massachusettes and my cake started to fall apart little by little when i got there the cake looked awful the client still loved the cake i cahrged them nothing. And guess what happen 2 days later they wanted another cake so dont let 1 cake make you turn down your passion. Just remember to take a medical bag as i call it because you never know what will happen. All of this is just going to help you get better at what you do. Next time you have an order put your cat away untill the cake gets picked up or delivered...

Keep up the good work!

unlimitedcake Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 4:09pm
post #4 of 6

You shouldn't give up, everyone has a cake that just has a mind of its own. I've been decorating Cakes for 5 yrs and about 3weeks ago I had this happen to me for the first time. When i left my house the cake was fine as I was in the middle of dropping the cake of the road got really bumpy tipical Massachusettes and my cake started to fall apart little by little when i got there the cake looked awful the client still loved the cake i cahrged them nothing. And guess what happen 2 days later they wanted another cake so dont let 1 cake make you turn down your passion. Just remember to take a medical bag as i call it because you never know what will happen. All of this is just going to help you get better at what you do. Next time you have an order put your cat away untill the cake gets picked up or delivered...

Keep up the good work!

matthewkyrankelly Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 4:11pm
post #5 of 6

Listen, when all is said and done, we're just making cakes here. No one died. The head on someone's chick cake fell off! If it wasn't you that made the cake it would almost be funny. I picture people sitting around, eating delicious FREE cake, and giggling about the head falling off.

So, pick yourself up and dust yourself off and make someone a cake that might make them smile or let someone know they were cared enough about to have a cake made for them

JanH Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 9:37pm
post #6 of 6

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%