Cake Help...please!

Decorating By Tiffany29 Updated 16 Jul 2009 , 9:05pm by Tiffany29

Tiffany29 Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 2:49pm
post #1 of 5

hi all! I am pretty new at this cake thing. I need some advice. I have a friend who lives in w.v. and wanted me to make her son's b-day cake. She was planning on coming here to visit (ohio) and taking the cake back home with her the night before the party.(aug 14 ) She may have to come a couple of weeks early. My question is can I make the cake ahead of time (while she's here) and freeze it until the party??? If so what is the best way to do it ???any help would be greatly appreciated! thanks!! icon_smile.gif

4 replies
Rylan Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 3:05pm
post #2 of 5

Of course you can. Just to remind you, some cakes do not do well in the freezer.

Well, bake your cakes, cool, wrap in layers of plastic wrap then put it in a freezer/ziploc bag, bread bag or foil the bigger ones.

Tiffany29 Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 5:20pm
post #3 of 5

thanks rylan!! icon_smile.gif can I decorate before freezing or not? I've heard of some people doing that, but I have never done it and I want to be sure so i don't have any disasters!! ~ thanks again!

kakeladi Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 8:44pm
post #4 of 5

........can I decorate before freezing or not?..........

Sure. Keep the decorations simple. IMHO b'cream is the best icing to use. You can use fondant decorations if you like.
Once the cake is completely decorated put it in a cake box, then wrap that in a plastic bag &/or foil. Freeze. When ready to serve take out of fzr the evening before or at least the morning of.......remove the plastic/foil but leave in box. Thaw on counter top. Do NOT touch cake; best if lid is not even raised icon_smile.gif It will be ready to serve within 2 hours usually (unless it is really big - that might take another hour or two.)

Tiffany29 Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 9:05pm
post #5 of 5

I am making a 12x18 double stacked for a monster truck arena cake. thanks for the help kakeladi! That 's what I was thinking.... I just wasn't sure weather or not to unwrap the box before thawing. Thanks for the tip! Oh, I always use b/c!!! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%