Recipe Needed

Baking By dcarylmk Updated 17 Jul 2009 , 10:47pm by cas17

dcarylmk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dcarylmk Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 1:42pm
post #1 of 20

I have a bride who wants a cake she tasted earlier in the year that is a combination of regular cake and cheesecake. Does anyone out there have a recipe for this? (She cannot remember where the cake she tasted came from!) Your help is greatly appreciated!!

19 replies
Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 1:53pm
post #2 of 20

What about a White Almond Sour Cream Cake, WASC, with Cheesecake filling? That is the combo I use for what your customer is requesting. icon_smile.gif

Cakerer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakerer Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 2:02pm
post #3 of 20

We have a local bakery that makes a cake that is an actual cheesecake layer with a choc cake layer on the top and the bottom. The frosting is really fudgey and good...but honestly, cheesecakes take to long for me...I'd go with the filling.

jdelaney81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdelaney81 Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 2:13pm
post #4 of 20

Is the cake layered with cheesecake, or is the cheesecake swirled in with the cake? Do you know? I have done both...Both are very good. Let me see if I can find my recipe for the swirled one (its a Cheesecake Factory recipe.)

jdelaney81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdelaney81 Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 2:18pm
post #5 of 20

Here is the recipe for the Carrot cake cheesecake.

http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/512/Cheesecake_Factorys_Carrot_Cake_Cheesecake31427.shtml

I made it without the nuts and coconut and it was very delicious. I am sure that you could adapt this recipe to make any flavor...Good luck. I hope this helps.

dcarylmk Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 5:34pm
post #6 of 20

Unfortunately the bride couldn't figure out if it was swirled with cheesecake or layered, although she mentioned it was iced in buttercream.
Thanks so much for your idea's!!

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 5:43pm
post #7 of 20

back in november, a lady told me about a cake that had cooked cheesecake baked into the layer...I'm still waiting for my slice of that one!

dcarylmk Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 5:52pm
post #8 of 20

Yum!! That sounds excellent!!

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 6:00pm
post #9 of 20

Copeland's New Orleans style restaurant serves several versions of a cake with cheesecake layers inside. They call it a Napoleon. I can't say for sure if it's cheesecake or cheesecake filling. I do believe it is actually a thin layer of cheesecake, like maybe they torted the cheesecake and put between torted layers of the yellow, white or chocolate cake, along with a raspberry or caramel filling, then frosted in ganache or a whipped topping frosting. It's so good, it's sinful. Just for practice, I think I would buy a high quality cheesecake and use the WASC or some version of it, and put the cheesecake in between with whatever thin layer of filling and frosting you choose. i'm dying to make one, just haven't had time. the cheesecake doesn't even have to be the same size as the cake layer, just fill in with icing.

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 6:02pm
post #10 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdelaney81

Is the cake layered with cheesecake, or is the cheesecake swirled in with the cake? Do you know? I have done both...Both are very good. Let me see if I can find my recipe for the swirled one (its a Cheesecake Factory recipe.)

That sounds delicious, I'd like that recipe too.

mariela_ms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariela_ms Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 6:07pm
post #11 of 20

Man.. my mouth watered reading through that recipe!! I'm thinking who's birthday is coming up to have an excuse to make this!! icon_biggrin.gif

DeeDelightful Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 6:08pm
post #12 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariela_ms

Man.. my mouth watered reading through that recipe!! I'm thinking who's birthday is coming up to have an excuse to make this!! icon_biggrin.gif

That's the same thing i'm thinking...and who would appreciate it?

mariela_ms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariela_ms Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 6:10pm
post #13 of 20

Do you guys think this recipe would work for like another cake? like a red velvet or chocolate?! Omg...red velvet...I'm so hungry now!

cas17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cas17 Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 6:14pm
post #14 of 20

what about the cheesecake from philly that comes in a tub already made? has anyone tried that for a filling? i would expect that it must be kept in the fridge.

tyty Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 6:14pm
post #15 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariela_ms

Do you guys think this recipe would work for like another cake? like a red velvet or chocolate?! Omg...red velvet...I'm so hungry now!

I think I saw a recipe for red velvet cheesecake somewhere, I think it was in one of Toba Garretts books, not really sure. There was one for chocolate too. They were not the swirled recipes, they were the ones with the layer of cheesecake in between.

DeeDelightful Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 6:15pm
post #16 of 20

I think this recipe will work for absolutely any combination of cake flavors and cheesecake flavors you can imagine. The possibilities are endless. I suggested store-bought cheesecake, because just the idea of cheesecake and moist cake TOGETHER is going to be good, as long as both are fresh and pretty good quality. It's up to the baker if they want to or have the time to produce the cheesecake and the cake and assemble. It's automatically 5 layers (2 cheesecake, 3 cake), plus frosting or a filling. The white chocolate raspberry, vanilla cake version i had was drizzled with raspberry sauce. It's crazy, makes your eyes roll in the back of your head, wanna ball up in the fetal position GOOD! My family would find me passed out with a hunk of cake in my hand.

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 6:21pm
post #17 of 20

There are many ways to experiment with this. The basic recipe for cheesecake is 1 egg, 1-8oz pkg cream cheese, 1/4 cup sugar, and vanilla to taste for cheesecake. This is tripled or quadrupled for an actual cheesecake.

You could make some of this and fold it into the cake batter. I would do this by pouring some of the batter into the cheese mixture, mixing, and pouring back into the cake batter. Similar to folding in egg whites or whipped cream. Most homogenous, even flavor.

If you wanted more distinct flavor differences, I would still fold in about 1/3 of the batter into the cheese mixture and then marble it. If you don't mix in enough batter, the cheese mixture will fall to the bottom of you pan as you bake.

The third thing is, you may prefer the batter to bake in the same pan, but be almost separate. Then just pour the cheese mixture right into the pan and let gravity do its job.

I have also used cheesecake as a layer in a cake. I put it on the bottom and put a golden layer on top. The recipient loved it. However, I have no experience using this as a stacked cake. I would use SPS and go crazy because of the refrigeration required.

Good luck.

tyty Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 6:22pm
post #18 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeDelightful

I think this recipe will work for absolutely any combination of cake flavors and cheesecake flavors you can imagine. The possibilities are endless. I suggested store-bought cheesecake, because just the idea of cheesecake and moist cake TOGETHER is going to be good, as long as both are fresh and pretty good quality. It's up to the baker if they want to or have the time to produce the cheesecake and the cake and assemble. It's automatically 5 layers (2 cheesecake, 3 cake), plus frosting or a filling. The white chocolate raspberry, vanilla cake version i had was drizzled with raspberry sauce. It's crazy, makes your eyes roll in the back of your head, wanna ball up in the fetal position GOOD! My family would find me passed out with a hunk of cake in my hand.

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif That's my kind of cake!

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 4:56pm
post #19 of 20

Cas17.....................the Philly Ready to Use cheesecake filling is what I use when cheesecake filling is requested. It is delicious, fast and so simple! Comes in regular flavor and Keylime pie flavor! icon_biggrin.gif

cas17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cas17 Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 10:47pm
post #20 of 20

thanks teekakes! i was wondering : )

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%