Sheet Cakes

Decorating By momcake101 Updated 16 Jul 2009 , 7:02pm by poohsmomma

momcake101 Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 10:23am
post #1 of 11

I,ve been asked to do a sheet, half chocolate & half yellow. Advice on how to do this would be appreciated! Just need to know what to use as a divider! Also a 12''x18" is a half sheet cake. Is that right? Thanks

10 replies
Kiddiekakes Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 1:06pm
post #2 of 11

I grab both bowls at one time and pour.It would also be easier to bake 2-9x13 instead of a 12x18..then you can bake each flavor and set each cake side by side.

Doug Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 1:32pm
post #3 of 11

or fold a long enough strip of aluminum foil to act as the divider -- place in middle, pour one side, then the other. remove foil and bake.

but.....

in my experience, chocolate cake and yellow cake do NOT bake as same rate.

so I too have gone to Kiddiekakes suggestion of two 9x13 side by side -- I just put BC at the joint to hold them together and use a good stiff cake board to prevent cracking apart.

yellobutterfly Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 2:50pm
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

or fold a long enough strip of aluminum foil to act as the divider -- place in middle, pour one side, then the other. remove foil and bake.

but.....

in my experience, chocolate cake and yellow cake do NOT bake as same rate.

so I too have gone to Kiddiekakes suggestion of two 9x13 side by side -- I just put BC at the joint to hold them together and use a good stiff cake board to prevent cracking apart.

ooohhh that's a smart idea, lol - I never thought of baking 2 9x13's! I just put a folded dish towel under the bottom of one side of the pan (gives it a slant), then pour one batter in, then when my second batter is ready I start pouring the batter in and remove the towel at the same time...it works for me icon_rolleyes.gif

diane Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 6:22pm
post #5 of 11

i've done tons of 1/2 sheet cakes and the best way for me was filling the pan with one flavor and then putting a towel underneath and filling the other side. i did bake two 1/4 sheets of both flavors, but i like the other way better. icon_wink.gif

Stephi1 Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 6:27pm
post #6 of 11

Just did a 12x18 WASC last week. Hubby poured white side, I poured chocolate. They met in the middle and came out perfect - no divider necessary - just an extra set of hands. HTH

matthewkyrankelly Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 6:33pm
post #7 of 11

I agree - if you have two people, you both pour. If it is just you, I would make the foil divider. It takes two seconds. You get a nice divide. Then take it out after you pour the second batter.

I understand the different batters baking thing. However, you might want to drop your oven temp to 325 F and bake a little longer. It will probably make for more even baking.

mariela_ms Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 6:33pm
post #8 of 11

Stephi1- Love your avatar!

Stephi1 Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 6:39pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariela_ms

Stephi1- Love your avatar!

Thanks - It's how I look when I get up in the morning LOL!

sadsmile Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 6:52pm
post #10 of 11

If you thin the choc batter with extra water and oil it will bake the same. You need the same consistancy and then they will bake up pretty close. But still think t he smartest approach is to make two 9x13 and put them together.

poohsmomma Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 7:02pm
post #11 of 11

I do this a lot...I just bake two 9x13s and stick them together with BC on the cake board.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%