Cake Business

Business By Sunshineah29 Updated 16 Jul 2009 , 9:16pm by Sunshineah29

Sunshineah29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sunshineah29 Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 2:32am
post #1 of 12

Well I have just finished my last class with Wilton and looking at starting my own business in my local area. Any tips or ideas that you pros have for a new business owner? I am wanting to start out in my home and if it goes well ( which I hope it does) move to a location. I have created business cards, website, business license and have taken several pictures as well as made some dummy cakes for display Any other tips I might be missing would be a great help

Thanks

11 replies
maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 2:52am
post #2 of 12

Do you have any experience running a business? If not I would look into the SBA and see if they have any classes. Last I looked they even had some online you could take.

Sunshineah29 Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 2:23pm
post #3 of 12

Ive been a store manager for a fast food rest for 16 years but non with cake

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 2:32pm
post #4 of 12

Can you legally make and sell food from your home?

JamieBrooke Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JamieBrooke Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 2:42pm
post #5 of 12

I hope so, I have been doing a cake business from home for about a year almost. I dont have a license or anything. But I also dont make enough to claim anything on taxes.

JamieBrooke Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JamieBrooke Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 2:43pm
post #6 of 12

I hope so, I have been doing a cake business from home for about a year almost. I dont have a license or anything. But I also dont make enough to claim anything on taxes.

Sunshineah29 Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 3:41pm
post #7 of 12

I know that you need to have a license or at least here in georgia to be able to sell them from your home

cakemaker30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemaker30 Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 5:13pm
post #8 of 12

I thought that in Georgia you weren't allowed to sell cakes from your home. I don't think it matters if you make enough to claim taxes or not. The two don't have anything to do with each other.

terrig007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrig007 Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 5:22pm
post #9 of 12

I used to live in Augusta myself and you had to have a kitchen that was not attached to your home (garage wouldn't count or so I was told). I'm sure you took it at the Michael's? There was a girl that filled in for Nancy two years ago when I took the classes and she was baking cakes out of her home and even had a website going. She was telling all the people in the class about it. I was noticing this one woman furiously writing things down as this girl spoke. Well, when we got back to class the next week this girl mentioned that somehow she got "busted" and was going underground for a little while. Turns out that woman worked for the Health Department. When Nancy returned this woman told everyone in the class what it would entail to open a cake business in your home and the costly consequences of being caught. My husband is military so I knew we wouldn't even be there in a year but it was interesting as I went with another classmate to Home Depot about one of those sheds (she was looking at the two story one) and the lady from class met her there. They went though what all would need to be done. She asked about the garage but it she said since it was attached to the home, it wouldn't be legal. I don't know if the law has changed in the 18 months since I moved from there but that's what I learned.

Casandra383 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Casandra383 Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 5:31pm
post #10 of 12

There is plenty of conflicting info floating around about it, so I went all the way to the head of the Ga. Dept. of Agriculture who actually regulates such things.
The verdict was that you must have a licensed, ie. commercial, kitchen. It can be within your home, but can not be your family kitchen.
The only thing you can possibly do without is a range hood. If you are only baking you do not have to have one, but if you use a stove top for any reason you have to have one of those too.

I had all intentions of putting a kitchen in my basement last year, but ended up having another baby. Of course, that put things on hold for a loonngg while! icon_biggrin.gif

Casandra383 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Casandra383 Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 5:33pm
post #11 of 12

There is plenty of conflicting info floating around about it, so I went all the way to the head of the Ga. Dept. of Agriculture who actually regulates such things.
The verdict was that you must have a licensed, ie. commercial, kitchen. It can be within your home, but can not be your family kitchen.
The only thing you can possibly do without is a range hood. If you are only baking you do not have to have one, but if you use a stove top for any reason you have to have one of those too.

I had all intentions of putting a kitchen in my basement last year, but ended up having another baby. Of course, that put things on hold for a loonngg while! icon_biggrin.gif

Sunshineah29 Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 9:16pm
post #12 of 12

yeah that is what I found out today thru the same place

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%