How To Keep Cake Fresh After It Is Cut?

Decorating By Mom2Rebecca Updated 17 Jul 2009 , 12:14pm by 2SchnauzerLady

Mom2Rebecca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mom2Rebecca Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 2:08am
post #1 of 9

I am making a cake to take to work this weekend. After we cut it, how do we keep it fresh? (fondat, so I no not to refridgerate it)
Cover with a clean towel? Saran wrap? I dont have a cake box
Thanks

8 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 10:03pm
post #2 of 9

saran wrap, tin foil, whatever. a towel would do, but no being air tight, it isnt perfect, it will still dry out. any air tight box will do, if you have anything like tupperwear hanging about.
xx

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 11:36pm
post #3 of 9

Also, fold foil into a V form and cover the sliced area and the cover the entire cake with platic wrap.

Mom2Rebecca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mom2Rebecca Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 9:41am
post #4 of 9

I thought fondant wasnt supposed to be in an airtight container, like tupperware?
Wouldnt putting saran wrap on it make it sort of air tight, softening my fondant and having it slide off the cake?
Thanks

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 10:03am
post #5 of 9

i sometimes wrap mine well with cling/saran wrap but mostly i end up putting it in an empty biscuit/cake tin and the cake and fondant keeps just fine

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 10:04am
post #6 of 9

I always wrap my cakes with plastic wrap and I never had any problems.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 11:55am
post #7 of 9

whenever I took cakes into work, they didn't last long enough after being cut to start going stale. (Cake delivered to the break room at 8:00; was totally demolished LONG before lunch)

But if it's a concern, just drape saran over it.

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 12:10pm
post #8 of 9

I've always just taken plastic wrap or foil and folded it to cover just the cut part, you dont need to cover the entire cake. The cut edge may get a little dry but you can always shave off a really thin slice before you make a fresh cut, but seriously unless its a really small office I cant imagine it hanging around that long.

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 12:14pm
post #9 of 9

I refrigerated leftovers of a fondant covered cake at work, had no problems with it. Of course, it only had one night in the fridge and then it was finished up the next day.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%