How In The World Do I Do This Cake ???? Please Help...

Decorating By Mikel79 Updated 16 Jul 2009 , 3:28pm by dandelion56602

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 1:13am
post #1 of 13

I need some assistance from all of you veterens out there. Can you please look at this cake in this link....

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_37601.html

How is it possible that a Gumpaste Bow, as heavy as it is no matter how thin, is able to stay in the middle of a BUTTERCREAM iced cake WITHOUT falling or sliding off???????

Please share your thoughts and tips....

=)

12 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 1:58am
post #2 of 13

It does look pretty heavy against that buttercream. (Which by the way, looks absolutely perfect). If the description didn't say buttercream, I would swear that was fondant!

niccicola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niccicola Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 2:02am
post #3 of 13

I"m guessing her buttercream is some serious stuff that can withstand the weight of the bow. I'm pretty sure she used melted chocolate to attach the bow, possibly on the ribbon, too, but I'm not so sure about that.

The bow is probably SUPER thin, also. Though it looks thick, it looks so real, and real bow is thin

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 2:04am
post #4 of 13

The cake definetly looks like its covered in buttercream. They may have "pinned" the bow in place with a toothpick.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 2:09am
post #5 of 13

you need to p/m sharon.. she will get back with you quickly. i have asked her several questions. and she alway gets back to me. it is her buttercream.. she shows how to make it on youtube. she has dvds out.. you may already know this.. she is c/c's queen of decorating. her dvd's are buttercream..and how she applies it and smooths it. fondant.. stacking. and her lastest.. topsy turvy.. she is the BEST.. she does it all to perfection. i wish i could do half the smooth decorating that she does..hth sharonssugarshack.com.. she has a wonderful blog site. so much info on that also..

Stephania27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stephania27 Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 2:10am
post #6 of 13

I have PM-ed sugarshack before with questions about her cake, and she was very helpful. You could try and ask her for tips on how she did it. It is a really beautiful cake. Good luck!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 2:10am
post #7 of 13

Why don't you send her a PM and ask her? Sugarshack has her buttercream recipe posted on the site: http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-7325-6-Sugarshacks-Buttercream-for-a-6qt-Mixer.html and I think I've seen a youtube tutorial that she made on how to make it too.

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 2:11am
post #8 of 13

That's sugarshack & it looks like her buttercream (which she states). You can pm her & ask. But I believe she applies her bows to the sides of cakes w/ melted chocolate. They are gumpaste bows--which can be rolled thinner than fondant.

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 9:39am
post #9 of 13

Thank you everyone!

I have PM Sharon about this cake. She did tell me that she attached it to the cake with Melted Chocolate. But, I am still confused. Melted Choc. on a Buttercream Iced Cake??.....in the middle of it??. Wouldn't that just add to the weight of the bow onced dried. How does melted choc. stick to a buttercream iced cake?? It is still confusing to me. Sharon Z. is amazing, please don't think I am second guessing her cake exp. But I am still stumped on this...

I have a cake that I already have made bows for. The bow is SUPER thin, but STILL heavy. When I used fondant cut outs on the side of cakes before, if they were to thick, they would fall off. (Buttercream Iced Cakes)

I really don't want the cake I have to make with the bows to be a test and trial cake, but what other option do I have????

=)

squeaky121603 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
squeaky121603 Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 12:12pm
post #10 of 13

I have her dvd's and she does attach with melted chocolate. However, I have been wondering the same thing about the bow being too heavy and would pull away from the buttercream. I thought about maybe pulling out a small amount of buttercream off the cake and then applied the melted chocolate and attaching the bow for more stability. Don't know, but let us know how it worked out for you.

Thanks,
Carol

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 12:16pm
post #11 of 13

I never even looked to see who made the cake. LOL. No wonder that buttercream was perfect! It was Sharon!!

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 12:28pm
post #12 of 13

Use a toothpick and melted chocolate

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 3:28pm
post #13 of 13

You can put a "blob" of melted chocolate on the back of the bow & in place a toothpick in that. Let it dry then attach more melted chocolate to the back before you insert it into the cake. You don't want it runny, just slightly melted so it will harden faster. It does work, I've done it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%