How Do I Color Marshmallow Fondant?

Decorating By gimmesugar Updated 16 Jul 2009 , 4:32am by gimmesugar

gimmesugar Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 12:58am
post #1 of 5

Do I make it first and then stick a toothpick of color in it and knead it (like I would pre-made fondant?)?

And anyone out there have success with coloring your fondant black and how did you do it? Store bought black fondant is NASTY!! icon_smile.gif

4 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 1:04am
post #2 of 5

Yes, color it just like store bought fondant.

To make black MMF, as long as you don't mind it being chocolate flavored, make chocolate MMF by substituting some cocoa powder for part of the powdered sugar, then you don't have to add nearly as much black color to get it to turn black.

Frecklepuss Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 1:27am
post #3 of 5

I made a golf bag cake and on it I put black chocolate MMF. Even though I made the fondant chocolate to begin with it still took quite a bit of black to get it BLACK! I would definately add the black when you are making it. It is much easier than trying to knead it in ... never mind with the toothpick ... you will need a tbls or more.... well I guess that does depend on how much you are making. I made quite a bit for the cake I made. Try a tsp of black first. Good luck.

BTW ... I really don't care for fondant but the cake was a big hit and everyone liked it!

panchanewjersey Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 1:42am
post #4 of 5

Yes I have to agree, use chocolate powder to get brown before adding black. I like using choc mm it's so much easier (Target). If not color it as your making the mmf not when it hardens. It's a pain in the ass to do when you wait and you really have to let it set for awile to have the color darken, that's why I started airbrushing it black instead. So much easier and faster. Try it.

gimmesugar Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 4:32am
post #5 of 5

Thanks for the advice! I think I'll try to color it before I actually make it if I'm using dark colors. Hopefully I'll be able to find a good airbrush kit to try airbrushing the colors on. Sounds less messy!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%