Cupcake Wrapper Crinkles In When Batter Added. Help?

Baking By meredith1851 Updated 16 Jul 2009 , 2:29pm by DianeLM

meredith1851 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meredith1851 Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 12:22am
post #1 of 7

Hi,
I don't know if I am explaining this properly, but am gonna try.
when I make cupcakes, i gently place the cupcake wrapper in the muffin tin, but when i add the batter, several of the wrappers always crinkle inward and it drives me crazy. Is this just normal or due to using cheap lightweight grocery store wrappers or something else?

6 replies
Mizuki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mizuki Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 12:33am
post #2 of 7

I've noticed that too. Drives me nuts!

mconrey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mconrey Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 12:38am
post #3 of 7

Yep! Happens to me too. I started using the foil wrappers instead. Those seem to be much more sturdy.

kellie0406 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellie0406 Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 12:39am
post #4 of 7

I was getting very frustrated over this same thing just a few days ago. I was thinking that maybe my muffin tins were smaller than standard & I needed new ones? I was using the Wilton plain white liners. If someone has the answer, please help!

UpAt2am Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UpAt2am Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 12:43am
post #5 of 7

happens to me too! especially when i do mini cupcakes. i did notice that there are different sizes of liners, as well as muffin tins themselves. so i guess it's just looking carefully at measurements on both and finding the right fit. i do agree that the aluminum liners hold up much better, but a lot of my customer's don't like that look.

60sBunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
60sBunny Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 12:38pm
post #6 of 7

Hi Guys

I have only had this problem using a pan I brought back form the US.

When i put the case in, it was too wide to touch the bottom.

So what happens is the bottom bows down with gravity and pulls a side into the batter as it goes.

Turn your pan upside down and put a case on it... if it doesnt fit in with a little space you will get the crinkling.

IF you have a 5cm bottom u need 5cm cases etc etc. I dont have the problem with any other pan

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 2:29pm
post #7 of 7

Store your cupcake liners in a narrow container, rather than allowing the sides to fan out. They'll stay nice and straight in the tin while you fill.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%