Another Cake Disaster! So Unsatisfying! I Hate It!

Decorating By Rylan Updated 17 Jul 2009 , 3:48am by Rylan

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 11:53pm
post #1 of 24

I'm just kidding about the title.

As you all know, everytime I make cakes, I am always unsatisfied--well this time I am contented. It isn't perfect and I wished I could have changed a few things, yet I learned to be happy about it. I've encountered a few problems here and there but I managed to hide it.

Here is the cake: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1415661

It is the last cake in my photos in case the link doesn't work.

The tiers are actually the back of the cake, the front has better trees. I was rushing and didn't realize I got things backwards.

One problem I had are the air bubbles. Since I started using ganache, I keep getting TONs of air bubbles under my fondant. I'm talking about 10 or more. When I used to use buttercream under fondant, I barely get any bubbles. Do you have an idea why? Also, when I dillute black gel color, I get green instead of gray. Is there any way I can get gray?

What do you think about the cake?

23 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 11:57pm
post #2 of 24

Ohh...I love it! I'm glad you're happy with your creation this time!

When you're diluting the black color, are you using really cheap vodka? I've noticed when I do that, it splits into green and purple and the purple stays on the cup while the green goes on the fondant. My husband has a bottle of Absolut in the freezer and when I sneak a bit of that to dilute my black color, it makes gray.

Rylan Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 12:03am
post #3 of 24

Thanks Judi. I actually used Skyy Vodka since I ran out of Absolut. Do you think that could be the reason? I didn't see any separation of green and purple though. Do you think it is Americolor?

Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 12:03am
post #4 of 24

Very nice! I only use buttercream under my fondant so I don't know if it's a ganache issue but it sounds like it. I'm sure someone will come along with some great advice for you!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 12:04am
post #5 of 24

Oh, my black color is Wilton...I keep trying to use it up so I can buy some Americolor. The vodka that I usually use for painting is so cheap that my sister's college friends couldn't drink it...that's how I ended up with it. Skyy should be fine icon_biggrin.gif

Rylan Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 12:07am
post #6 of 24

Thanks Kim.

Judy, maybe I should get the Wilton one for painting. Thanks for the advice.

JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 12:09am
post #7 of 24

Oh Rylan...... You crack me up.. Your cakes are gorgeous...

I don't have any advice for your problems but I am glad you are starting to see a more clear view of your work.. and starting to overcome you poor self cake image...ahhahhaa

I love your cakes and your chefs that are always in your background ...

Eating dirt in the forest.... hahah

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 12:43am
post #8 of 24

OK when I saw this title my first thought is I'm catching the next flight to Vegas (with my bag of quarters) and I'm gonna wring RylanTy's neck! icon_razz.gificon_razz.gif

Then I see you were just trying to lure us in, can I still come to Vegas? icon_lol.gif

LOVE your cake, the nest is awesome I want to eat it! icon_biggrin.gif

Katiekatiekatie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katiekatiekatie Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 12:49am
post #9 of 24

As always I just have to tell you that your cake is ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL! I love the look, the idea of eating dirt, I LOVE IT ALL!!!

Katie

CakesbyCindi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyCindi Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 1:02am
post #10 of 24

Rylan,

Another beautiful cake... I love the whole concept, it is so earthy and sounds delicious. I am so glad you are happy with this cake, as you should be with all your cakes, I haven't seen a one yet that isn't fantastic.

Toptier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Toptier Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 1:49am
post #11 of 24

Are you chilling your ganache before covering with fondant? I find I do get air bubbles that way, try letting it come to room temp for a while before covering. Also are you brushing the fondant with syrup before applying fondant? I find this helps the fondant adhere to the ganache and cuts out bubbles too.

Lovely cake, by the way!

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 2:02am
post #12 of 24

I was reading about color combinations and it said if you mix the two opposites on the color wheel it makes gray - but I haven't tried it yet!

woodruffbn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woodruffbn Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 2:02am
post #13 of 24

A beautiful cake! I absolutely LOVE the design! It's so woodsy and natural! It doesn't look like any other cake I've seen and I love things that are different. I just altogether I love it!

Rylan Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 5:31am
post #14 of 24

double post

Rylan Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 5:34am
post #15 of 24

Thanks everyone for the kind words.

Toptier, I did chill my cakes just like I always do (even buttercream under fondant). It seems like just a minute after I lay my fondant, I already get air bubbles. I do brush my cakes with syrup as well and still get the problem everytime. Any other reasons why it's always like that? Also, when you use ganache, I never get a smooth finish. The ganached cake itself is smooth and once I put the fondant on, it looks uneven.

Ranea, I thought mixing opposite colors makes brown? Is it different in gel colors?

Rylan Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 3:10pm
post #16 of 24

Can anyone help me with my air bubble problems? Is it normal on ganache users?

Rylan Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 1:10am
post #17 of 24

Anyone?

CookieD-oh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieD-oh Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 1:11am
post #18 of 24

Don't know about the air bubbles...I haven't used ganache under fondant yet...but have you seen this color chart? Gray is toward the bottom.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=858073

Rylan Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 3:10am
post #19 of 24

Thanks for the chart. That will definitely come in hand.

itscake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itscake Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 3:22am
post #20 of 24

did you use a whisk to mix the ganache?...

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 3:27am
post #21 of 24

No whisk-ies!

Rylan Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 3:37am
post #22 of 24

I actually did. Why would that be a reason for airbubbles?

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 3:44am
post #23 of 24

I think so. I accidentally whisked the heck out of some ganache I made once, at the point where you pour the hot cream over the chocolate...it never set. Was soupy and thin 3 days later. I waited.....poor little bowl of chocolate. I'll never do that again.

Did you whisk it after it set, to get creamy for icing the cake? That shouldn't matter much, but the less you whisk it, the denser and less air, I know that.

Rylan Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 3:48am
post #24 of 24

I just wisked it until incorporated. Actually, the ganache was completely smooth (looks almost like fondant) with no air bubbles. My only problem is the fondant having tons of air bubbles. I've only been having this problem when I started using ganache.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%